1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RE:My car is in and I have a few Q's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by scott, Nov 11, 2004.

1. scott

scott New Member

Hi all. I registered for PriusChat last december when I put my order in for a car and it's now in. (11 mos. wait is sad, eh?)

So...dealer tells me that if I don't take this car now(wait for different color/pkg), they're going to charge at least $1000 on top of MSRP for any car I choose later.

When I left my deposit, I was assured I could wait till my color/option car came in, and that it would be at MSRP. My father in law was waiting for an optioned out car and when it came in, they told him it would be $4500 above MSRP, but if he took the other car which had a few options, it would be MSRP.

I think they're trying to hose me and my father in law.

Since you folk are in the 'hybrid' scene, would you get the Prius now, or wait till next year when others come onto the scene. I know the Lexus Rx will be hybrid.

Also, would you definitely do the extended warranty if you're only keeping the car 3 years? and what did you pay for it?

sorry for the q's, I guess I should have done more snooping over the past year, but I found it hard to come to the forum while I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting, for my car.

Thanks!!!!
    Scott
    NY

2. rmm20

rmm20 New Member

If it was me,

1) I would get both deposits back.
    2) If deposit checks were cashed, I would file suit in
    small claims court for lost interest and breach of contract.
    3) I would publisize that dealer name on every internet forum I could find.
    4) Find a reputable dealer from this forum. The wait will not be long.

But then, that is just me, and I think unethical dealers shoud be punished
    by the market. The above constitutes my opinion and not legal advice.

Robert

3. rmm20

rmm20 New Member

One more point:

Never, ever, buy an extended warrantee from a Dealer until you get
    a quote from Danny on this forum. You have 3 years or 36000 miles
    to decide.

Robert

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So your F-I-L took the lesser car? It took you 11 months to get to the top of the list or have you been turning down cars? If these are true:

• then the dealer is below slime. Hopefully you got MSRP and refundable deposit in writing. If they come up with your cars, at MSRP, I still wouldn't purchase anything else from this dealer if you have been straight with them and they are now playing you. And watch out for a bunch of dealer add ons, I suspect a dealer who has treated you this way will do you as much as possible.

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    rmm20 said it all! I would run not walk from that dealer.

6. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I agree. That guy is a crook!

7. scott

scott New Member

yeah, 11 months and my father in law couldn't get the loaded one without paying VIG.

Can you guys tell me where I can find a reputable dealer in the MetroNY area? This guy is trying to tell me that if I don't take this car, all cars after that will be surcharged.

what a crock.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This constitutes a legal contract. He told you you could wait for your choice to come in, and that it would be MSRP. If he now tries to charge you over MSRP he is in violation of that contract (even if it's only verbal -- though it's easier to prove in court if it's in writing).

If you turn down a car that is what you told him you would accept, he may have an out. Maybe. Otherwise not. He is obviously trying to wriggle out of his contract, offering you a lesser car and telling you to take it or pay a premium on the car that was promised to you at MSRP. He wants you to walk away, so that he can charge someone else a premium for the car he would have had to sell you at MSRP.

Report him to the BBB, the state Attorney general, and any other relevant agency. And demand that he sell you the next car that meets your requirements, at MSRP and not a dollar more. Then take your maintenance/repair business elsewhere.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You have been on the board since December, so you probably already know this, but Daniel left out - intentionally or not - Toyota USA. Previously, in matters involving elevated prices and shady dealer practices, people have reported that Toyota USA stays out of dealer transactions with customers. You might want to call anyway knowing that if this is a regular event at this dealer many others might have also lodged complaints against them. Perhaps then Toyota USA would step in.

Good luck.