1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

re-painting spoiler color of car

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ppimd, Jan 20, 2013.

1. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My spoiler has gotten scratched up and I've thought about having it re-painted the blizzard white color of the car. Any thoughts?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mine's gotten a bit chewed up as well, being inattentive, closing the garage door on it. A couple of times now...:rolleyes: There's a nice sharp-edged bracket at the underside of our garage door mechanism that does the damage. One thing I did is zip-tie a piece of foam pipe insulation on that bracket. For now I've just buffed it out a bit and done local touch-up with gloss black lacquer. Anyway:

How about getting it repainted in gloss-black? Keeps it stock-looking.

FYI, I've taken mine off once, just to see that it was doable. Took a while, the interior hatch panelling had to be partially removed to get at the clips and bolts. If you can manage removal and just brought in the part, it would likely make for an easier/cheaper relationship with a bodyshop.

3. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Painting it the color of the car adds continuity to the rear hatch. It appears this way on a previous version of the Prius.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also toyed with the idea of satin black plasti-dip. Easier for DIY. And sort of blend with the other satin black bits around the windows.