1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Re-post power windows fuse 2001 and manuals

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by fredtr, Oct 19, 2011.

1. fredtr

fredtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Now that i have found the correct forum (Gen 1).

I just bought a non-running 2001 Prius, I will be buying manuals etc., anynone have a good source please let me know.

The first thing I would like to do is to get the windows up, to keep out uninvited guests, all species. Only one of the 3 fuse boxes (driver side engine compartment) has the cover that shows what fuse does what. Can someone tell me which fuse supplies power to the power windows?

Thank-you,

Fred

2. fredtr

fredtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Have windows working, next step is to complete installation of inverter. Does anyone know if after replacement if it needs to be bled? And if so, how?
    Thanks,
    Fred

3. sbiddle

sbiddle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it needs to be bled. Search on this sight and you'll find a lot of useful information. I just changed the coolant in my 2002 prius and I found that you have to work at getting it bled properly. I found that pumping on the hoses by squeezing them while my better half cycled the pump on and off helped a lot.

As for manuals, I bought the official 2 volume set on ebay for about $100. Very detailed and worth it since in so many ways the prius is unique. Good luck!

4. M&M

M&M Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Congrats, Fred, on an ambitious undertaking. I have a 2003 and am willing to supply you with info, if I can, by looking at mine if you are missing parts. Like if you need those other two relay covers data, so you know what each relay is......which leads me to my question for you..... could you see if you have 4 or 3 relays in the center relay box....it's a 1 x 4. I am missing #3 and don't know if this is the norm.

I can take pics for you on stuff if you like if you need to see what should be there.

I am to the point now where I think I'll tackle anything that goes wrong on the car.....just need the know-how.

-M&M

5. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your "non-running" Gen1 does not start after you ensure all the parts are installed, you must get a high end diagnostic scanner which supports Hybrids to properly scan the codes...otherwise you will be throwing parts/money at the car to no avail. The cheapo OBD2 "Autozone" scanners are fairly useless with Prius.

Best scanner is Toyota Techstream software for a windows laptop (factory software). You'll need a Mongoose Toyota cable ($500) or similar to use it.

And before you install the inverter, check each of the HV leads from MG2 for continuity to ground (ideally with a MegOhm meter). If any of the three heavy orange cables have no resistance to ground you're hosed...you'll need a new MG2 stator or complete transmission.

6. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the history of this car and why did you buy it? was it in a wreck or did it just die on the previous owner? How many miles on the car? If not in a wreck it most likely needs a Tranny or HV battery...that's typically why people sell nice looking Gen1's that don't work.