1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Re-routed Garmin GPS power cord

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by don_chuwish, Dec 18, 2009.

1. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So while I was working on my stereo stuff yesterday I had an inspiration to hide the power cord that has been dangling down over the dash to the cigarette lighter. With just a little plastic removal with a Dremel I was able to do as shown in the photos:

Attached Files:

2. johntylko

johntylko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Neat idea! I've considered doing the same, but it would mean moving my kensington liquidaux to the center console and therefor would also have to reroute the audio cables to the center console as well. Is this something you considered? What kind of stereo stuff were you doing?

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep it's a great idea. When I had all my taxi stuff installed (radio, meter etc) I had the guuy hard wire the sat nav lead in too. It's a much better solution and definitely worth doing if you use your sat nav a lot. Never liked the lead flapping around the dash.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good man. :) If I used my NAV that often I would likely do the same.

5. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, with a little more work I probably could have clipped the lighter socket plug off the end, stripped a bit of wire and connected to the back of the lighter socket. But I was in a hurry and didn't want to get quite that destructive just yet.

- D

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even better, for a mere $10-$15 you can purchase a lighter socket "female" end that has bare wires on the other. Simply tie those wires into a 12v ignition source and ground and you could plug your Garmin adapter into it and keep it all hidden behind the dash. We do this on many XM or Sirius radio installed where people don't want stuff stuck in their lighter sockets. :)

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have mine hard wired in but I just put the wire behind that same panel in the dash without grinding.

Attached Files:

8. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Excellent! I'll have to look into it now.

Pat, do not know if you noticed, but there's a mouse living in your car!

- D

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Radio Shack should sell them. If you can't find one let me know and I'll see who our distributor is. :)

Don't worry about Pat. He sometimes forgets that we in the US realize that everything in Australia is looser and doesn't require extra work to get it in. :p

10. siriuset

siriuset Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm probably getting a 2010 Prius today and will want to use my Garmin 265 WT. Any experience on hiding the wires on this model? Will the windshield suction cup work? It looked to me like the windshield might be too sloped.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mounting anything to the windshield is illegal in CA so I would avoid it. I just use the Garmin bean bag dash holder thing and remove it as needed since I don't use the GPS often.

12. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even on the Gen II it's a bit too sloped to be good. Either the GPS is low enough but too far away, or close enough but too high and obstructing view. I'm considering putting the disc just to the right of the MFD on the dash, easier for my co-pilot to reach and all.

- D