1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

re: what you use?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Portman7, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Portman7

Portman7 New Member

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Portman7 @ Apr 13 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]239518[/snapback]</div>
    They will take my single button mouse when they pry it from my cold dead fingers. I have just spent 3 days trying to get XP to run correctly on my Mac Book Pro. I do not understand why anyone but a total, committed masochist would use Windows of any flavor. You poor, poor deluded fool.

3. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

I use Windows 2000... a steady, consistent, stable performer... made for the business world, but I use it at home.

Thought I would add some computer Haiku that I printed from somewhere..

Here are a few favorites:

A file that big?
    It might be very useful
    But now it is gone

Yesterday it worked
    Today it is not working
    Windows is like that

Windows NT crashed
    I am the Blue Screen of Death
    No one hears your screams

Three things are certain
    Death, taxes, and lost data
    Guess which has occured

A CRASH reduces
    your expensive computer
    to a simple stone

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find that the more people know about computers (and the more they actually use the different systems out there), the more they come to appriciate all systems. I grew up using mostly Windows (with some Linux mixed in), and I actually like Windows. I know it's "cool" to trash Windows, but there are some things that Windows does really well. That said, I could never imagine using Windows exclusively for work; that's what Linux is for. My current setup is Linux at work and Windows (with cygwin) on my laptop and home machine.

That said, I've been very impressed with the OSX stuff that I've played around with; I especially like the Unix-style stuff that you can do. And I've got to admit, they have the coolest looking laptops out there (IMO, of course). My next laptop will almost certainly be a "Mac Book Pro" (God, I hope they change that stupid name), once they get beyond the first generation (which has already had some kinks, I understand).

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mac OSX 3.2.9 Jaguar at home.

Same at work. Plus Windows XP. The only thing I use Windows for is Zangle and Horizon. Both programs that must run on the district's Novell server. I use my Mac for things that require actual productivity. I have Office on my Mac. I really don't understand the attraction of XP. I think the Windows system is awkward, not to mention it's susceptibility to all sorts of nasties.

BTW I use a Wacom Graphire II tablet that has a stylus and a wireless mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel. I'll be moving up to a Intuos soon. I'll never go back to a one button mouse.

But I don't use Safari. I use Mozilla.

Sat question.

Windows is to Mac OSX as Safari is to_____________. (Mozilla/Firefox)

Internet Explorer sucks in any operating system.

To each his own.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For me, actually getting the opportunity to mess around with a Mac or Linux these is littlle more than novelty. Everything I touch is Microsoft. And though I do my share of poking at the holes in the security and other things, I will say that there are some things about Microsoft I like.

For example, for me when I'm looking for a feature, it's almost always exactly where I look for it; exactly where I'd expect it to be. And the bulk of the quick-keys I used in Windows 3.1 still work in XP. Since I use quick-keys all the time, this is key to me. I don't appreciate their constant push to make things more GUI and more Mac-like and more cartoonish. When I build a new system and install XP the first thing to go is that annoying new start menu. I want things simple and easy to get to. On the other hand, extreme customization is another thing I like. Not only can I get in and tweak the individual settings of XP, I can run 3rd-party software and completely retheme my entire GUI.

But with that said, I use Firefox, Thunderbird, and Real Player instead of IE, Outlook, and Media Player.

7. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

I use Windows XP Tablet PC edition on my Toshiba R15...Never was comfortable with Mac...Not sure why...

I hear all these complaints about Windows...Lost data, crashes, etc...In the year I've owned my Tablet, I've NEVER had a crash that was MS related. I've had bad software and bad files, but never a Windows related system crash.

I'm running a relatively slow system (Celeron 1.6Ghz with 1024GB RAM) and I still have no problems running Outlook 2003, Word 2003, PowerPoint 2003 with several files in each open at the same time.

Maybe my PC just loves me more than everyone elses?:D

8. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

MSFT

XP home/professional on all my pc's.

Two biggest reasons:

1. Heavy gamer/online and off, and XP has run flawlessly since it came out

2. Everything that's anything, is compatible

I've tried Mac over the years, can't stand it, tries to do too much 'thinking' for you (i.e. like shoving Itunes down your throat)...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thomas Brock @ Apr 14 2006, 09:44 AM) [snapback]239664[/snapback]</div>
    Not just you... Since XP came out in '01, I think I've only experienced a "crash" in the typical sense, once or twice at MOST... and that's 5 years of daily usage work/play....

10. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use just about anything and an very happy with them all. At home I use Win XP (but I miss my old reliable Win 2K box that died with an HD failure), Mac OS X, and Fedora Core 5 for linux.

I normally turn to the Mac when I'm doing video stuff. I'll probably turn to Linux if I were doing any web or database programming. I use Windows for my music software and day to day surfing and programming windows apps. I would probably use the Mac for more if they were cheaper and I could do easy processor upgrades.

My laptop dual boots Windows and Linux. I've always wanted a powerbook, but after buying the Prius the powerbook on't be in reach this year.

I don't do very much gaming on my computers, I do that all on my gaming consoles.