1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reading the Manuals w/ Limited Time

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by anothersomeotherguy, Aug 2, 2016.

1. anothersomeotherguy

anothersomeotherguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Total noob to Prius here. Just got a used one this past weekend.

From everything I've read here on PC, I've gathered reading the manuals is essential the health and longevity (and enjoyment!) of one's Prius. Unfortunately I have a very packed schedule for the next who knows how long so it's going to take me awhile to digest all the manuals... but I will!

Could anyone suggest the first bit of information I should get right on? I'm assuming the most important would be the maintenance schedule. I've already started (before I owned the Prius) with a few PC threads such as the fist thing a Prius owner needs to know, things I wish I would have been shown when I bought a Prius, etc. Great info so far.

Thanks for the awesome resource. I've already resolved one issue rather quickly using PC. :)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually as far back as the Gen 2 Prius (2004), we've always just told new owners to "just drive it!". Unless there's a pressing issue (like an annoyance or something you're curious to know if it can be done), I'd say treat it like a normal car. You have the Four so most things are similar to other cars. Do you have the solar roof? Maybe just quickly brush up on its operation and how it's supposed to work (I don't know if you park in a dusty area or an area with constant odours like smoke/BBQ etc). If that's the case, you may want to keep the SPVS off so that it doesn't ingest that air into the cabin while parked.

Know where the 12V battery is in case you need a jumpstart (it's located in the trunk, under the floor, on the passenger side).

Check your tire pressures (35/33 is recommended) including the spare tire! (I think it's stored at 60PSI?? The pressure is on the sidewall) Nothing worse than a busy schedule and finding out that your emergency kit isn't ready to be used.

In case of an emergency, press and hold the POWER button for a few seconds (I think it's 3 seconds?) to shut down the car. (This is the equivalent of turning off your car with a regular key-in-slot ignition so this is just for emergencies only as everything will be off including power steering

If you need to shift into neutral, slide the shift and hold over "N" for 1 second.

w84urie and anothersomeotherguy like this.
  3. anothersomeotherguy

anothersomeotherguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the info Tideland Prius!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid