1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ready for "first" fillup. . .any recommendations

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by sleonardelli, Apr 11, 2008.

1. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am at 2 pips and plan to fill up tomorrow. I have read many posts in various formats and really need to know two things.

Do I reset the consumption after the fill?

MFD is saying I'm getting 42.6 mpg right now. It took me a week to get it this high (started at 34 mpg). Will resetting the MFD indicate better gas mileage or start me back at 34 mpg?

How slow or fast do I fill the tank?

I tried filling the tank on Wednesday when it was 3 pips. I got less than 3 gallons before it clicked. Since I'm a little OCD I pushed it till the price was $9 (another click). Got in my car and it still showed 3 pips :eek: though I have driven about 150 miles since I filled up. I have read posts the indicate I should a) open the fuel cap slowly and b) fill slowly in order to actually fill the car. What say the other newbies or experts on this?

2. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    resetting starts you back at zero
    i reset every fillup ; i keep a paper log to compute my lifetime mileage

fill up on the slowest pump setting

3. sleonardelli

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  4. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'd just say fill it up like any other car. People get obsessive around here regarding filling up their tank. :confused: I fill mine up, when it clicks I'll just top it off to the next increment of $.25 just to have an even number. I'll typically get 500 miles out of a tank before filling when it's warm. I got closer to 450 miles when my '08 was new (it's a few months old now). I think part of that was it was cooler out and the tank was new and hadn't stretched... oh, and I have full synthetic in now as well as more air in the tires (42/40).

Anyway, on the '08's the average fuel economy will reset automagically after getting gas. Well, it probably takes 100 yds or so of driving before it realizes it needs to reset. :) I reset mine manually at the same time I'm resetting my odometer just so they match. If I don't reset it manually my odometer will show .1 miles further. :help:

Mike

5. sleonardelli

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the help! Didn't notice the MFD reset automatically after the "fill" but I'll test it tomorrow. If it doesn't reset within, say, 1/4 mile, I'll reset it.

It seems you may be a bit OCD yourself since you fill up to the next quarter. I like round numbers, not pennies.

6. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I notice that when you fill up slowly, like on the first click on the pump handle versus using it wide open, i get a very full tank.

also, dont use anything over 87 octane, it's just a waste

7. sleonardelli

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the advice! My biggest problem is I fill up at Sam's club and most of the stations don't have the metal click thingies. I guess I don't understand how they come off or why it is so hard to replace them. Sam's has the most inexpensive gas; usuall 5 to 10¢ cheaper than at MacDill AFB.

8. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just fill up exactly like any other car, remember to power the car off as well.
    Reset on the consumption screen the MPG, otherwise the Mileage will not show your current tank avg.

Also as a side note I have read somewhere that store and bargain brand gas (including Sams and BJ's) gas only have the very minimum amount of required detergents blended in. Not that I wouldn't hesitate to still use it but if you regularly use Sams Club gas you may want to consider dumping a fuel system cleaner in your tank regularly (easy way to remember would be at each oil change)