1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ready for Jetson-like electric vehicle?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by PaPrius, Nov 22, 2007.

1. PaPrius

PaPrius Member

Aptera plans to sell first in California, and says it is accepting fully refundable deposits of $500.

The company adds that once the all-electric Typ-1 is in production and on the market, it will then roll out a plug-in hybrid Typ-1 that gets more than 300 miles per gallon of gasoline with a range of more than 600 miles before it needs a fill-up.

Jetson-like electric vehicle and hybrid vehicle to be sold

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    While $30,000 is certainly an affordable electric vehicle, this is just a little too weird, even for me.

It has the range, 120 miles. And it seats 2 (that's me and the dog). And it can hold some cargo.

But anyone driving this would have to add a motorcycle operators license on to their existing drivers license.

I can see this being very popular for those with a long commute who really want to use the HOV lanes. It will sell in L.A.

I wonder if Ed Begley will buy one?

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is not news. Aptera PLANS to sell this vehicle some day. I'd buy one. I don't much like the style, but 120-mile electric does it for me.

HOWEVER, you should be aware that there are probably a dozen companies promising to sell a long-range freeway-capable EV some time real soon now. They all claim to be right on the verge. And they've all been making the same claim for years.

First one on a car lot near me gets my money. I want one really badly. But I'm not holding my breath.

(And I wonder what happens when a lightweight car like this is broadsided by a heavier vehicle and tossed into the adjacent lane in front of other traffic and then hit in various directions by several other cars. A heavier vehicle is more likely to stay in its lane, and less likely to tumble when broadsided.)

I'd much rather have a proper four-wheel car that's all electric. An EV Civic or an EV on the Prius body. Or an EV-1. I'd buy an EV-1 if they'd put them back into production. GM says they can't build the Volt yet. They built the EV-1 a decade ago. Have they forgotten how?

4. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's interesting but those wheels look like they'd snap off in a crash. And what would repair costs run?

And you'd be likely to get in one because drivers unconsciously tend to drive toward what they are looking at and this thing would certainly get a lot of drivers looking at it.

The Idealab that backs it is just a few miles away from me, in Old Town Pasadena. Interesting company. They develop all sorts of experimental technologies.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks pretty cool to me, but I'd want a garage to hide it in, because there's no way I'd leave that parked on the street. (A giant blow up doll of ET in the driver's seat would be funny.) The motorcycle licence is no problem, at least for me, but one car's plenty already.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very cool.

7. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 22 2007, 10:11 AM) [snapback]542939[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think so, I saw on the local news a similar type of "trike" where two wheels were in front, but it literally was like a motorcycle in the sense it could use the carpool lanes, but they said you didn't need a motorcycle license for it.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MikeSF @ Nov 22 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]543079[/snapback]</div>
    Every state has its own laws regarding what constitutes a motorcycle and what license you need to drive one.

No statement on this topic is valid across the country. Check the laws in your own state, and any state you intend to drive the vehicle in.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't need to ADD a motorcycle licence to my licence, it's already there.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 22 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]543115[/snapback]</div>
    In WA, a three-wheel motorcycle (trike) requires a different endorsement, with its own written and driving tests. However, as mentioned above, every state has its own laws.

11. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. You would need a tricycle license.

Or you could let your three year old chauffeur you around.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    im with daniel, get one on the market (actually my personal studies says that 150 during winter or 200 during summer is what i need for 99% driving needs but the 120 will cover 95%) at that price and i will get it no questions asked.

right now i use my Zenn as primary short range transportation and commuting. The Prius is primary for SO and used for family trips. with an EV with a range of just 80 miles (that is 50% more than we need and would not have her driving it if it had less range) The Prius would drop to spare and only be used an average of 2-3 times a month.