1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ready to buy Mini Clubman, bought Prius instead

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by stevecaz, May 21, 2008.

1. stevecaz

stevecaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My wife and I were ready to order a Mini Clubman this weekend, but I told her we owe it to ourselves to try the Prius. So tonight we went, kids in tow, and moved the boosters to the single Prius they had on the acres of Toyota cars for the test drive. Bonus of kids is no salesperson comes with.

Oh how fun the Mini was, all the customization made to order, the handling, the styling, and 40 mpg average is possible with proper driving. And in the end, practicality and responsiblity won out. ;) We gave a sad moment for the Mini not meant to be, and then excitedly looked forward to the Prius.

The Prius is fine, its nice, it has some cool features. But the Mini is the total opposite of the Prius which is like most Toyota's - boring, bland, cookie cutter with every other one on the road, etc. I'm not posting to knock the great car the Prius is, just stating the natural truth. With Pkg #3 its the same price as the Mini we spec'd, and will likely get in real life, knowing how and where we drive, 10 to 15 mpg better. So in the end, the great mpg is in itself a large coolness factor. The zero emissions at a stop adds more. My mother-in-law has a 1st gen Prius, and I was totally impressed with this car over that. It was much much larger and better than the gen 1 Echo based Prius.

Peak Oil in 2010-2011 has me a bit freaked. Effectively cutting the gas price by 60-70% over our aging minivan - very cool.
    Tomorrow morning I go back to the dealer and hand over a check for my deposit with glee. Around 60 days is the wait. They said we give them 3 color choices??? Not sure what they mean by that, but I'm not paying MSRP and $25600 for a car and not getting exactly the color I want.

I look forward to participating in the forums.

2. Napergal

Napergal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When I was speaking to dealers about potentially ordering a Prius, I got the feeling that it was not a "custom" order, or a car that was made especially for you. Basically, you're putting your name on a list for the Prius with the right package. When one comes in, you'll be given the option of taking it or not. This is why they ask you to prioritize colors. I could be wrong, but I think this is the way it works.

3. adhd

adhd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    MiniCooper is undoubtedly cool, but Prius is cool to me in a techno/green way. A good choice for a family, and likely a longer term value. Hope you all are happy. I had to wait 3 weeks, 60 days is a long wait!

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can probably fit a lot more in a Prius, too...
    _H*

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Clubman is a great car to drive (love the optional piano black lacquer finish but hated the fact the rear view mirror was so far away and in my line of sight).

Anyway, :welcome: and congrats! Do read the Knowledge Base Section of the site for more info!

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Napergal is correct. In the US cars are usually not made to order as they are in Europe. Manufacturers build a mix of stuff they think will sell best. You tell a dealer what you want and the dealer goes looking and horsetrading for it, thus the need for a selection of acceptable colors. There is a distinct possibility of not getting exactly what you want unless you're willing to wait a long time. I waited six months. It was worth it.

7. Prudence

Prudence New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

With the new engines Mini switched to in 2007, the mpg's are very respectable. I agree proper driving will get a 40 mpg average, but proper driving and Mini in the same sentence doesn't sound right. I was a terrible driver (by my Prius standards) with the new Mini's. Fast starts, hard stops, wicked cornering, and with the resulting gas mileage to show for it.
    The Prius won't be as exciting, but your blood pressure will be better and the kids won't be swaying in their car seats from the g-force going around corners with the Mini.
    Enjoy the Prius, it's just a different kind of ride, it's all good. :)

8. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    3 colors:i told them first choice, red, #2, 'red', #3, 'red'
    took the salesdweeb a bit to comprehend that i only wanted one in 'red'.
    that was last year ; with the short supply this year, that approach might not work.