1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ready to buy new. 2006 or 2007?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by far182, Aug 30, 2006.

1. far182

far182 New Member

Good morning!

This is my first post on this forum and hello everyone. I am ready to join the ranks of the other happy Prius owners. Before I do anything like this I really like todo my research. I have read many Prius websites and found useful information about the buyer's checklist, how to get a cheaper warrenty, etc. My wife and I went to a couple dealerships and even test drove the Prius and Camry(hybrid). We made our decision and are set on getting a Prius now. So today I am tasked to find a dealer that has inventory of what we are looking for. While doing durring all my search I have really been focused on the 2006.

Now that 2007's seem to be available I am wondering if I am making a mistake not getting a 2007. I guess the biggest features that attact me to the 2007 is the standard side/curtain airbags. I have a family so I want to be as protected as possible. Also, the touring edition has the suspension change which I am guessing is a move in the right direction.

Lets say I am lucky enough to find a 2007 by September. Am I loosing anything going with it? Basically will I still be able to get the Tax Credit & HOV sticker (lets say there is still HOV stickers available)?

Thank You for all the help!

2. yarzy

yarzy New Member

Now, from what I understand, the 2006 and the 2007 are pretty much the same car. Can anyone help here because I just ordered a 2006 and I hope I should not have waited for the 2007!!!

oh, wait. My 2006 package 7 will be the same as a 2007 I think...

What package are you thinking of getting, it looks like the lower 2006 packages would not have the airbags, but the higher ones will. Depends on what you are looking for, it you want package 6-8, I think it is the same car.

You better hurry though, I JUST got the order in before Oct 1st....

3. B Rad

B Rad New Member

The 06/07 are the same care with different option packages. The touring/sport edition has larger 16" wheels and I would guess, a little sportier ride. I would also expect a littler lower MPG with this option.
    Now I don't believe anyone is going to get an 07 in time for the full tax credit so you have to decide the following.
    1. Can I wait 2 months?
    2. Will the 07 be worth more when I sell than what I saved on the 06 ?
    I think if you gernerally keep a car a long time you are better off getting the 06 now. But if you trade every 2 or 3 years then wait for the 07.

4. far182

far182 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Aug 30 2006, 08:53 AM) [snapback]311614[/snapback]</div>
    I keep my cars 5-7 years usually (last 3 have been that way). Because of that I usaully get fully loaded vehicles. I would like every option. Only thing I was thinking with the Prius is I was thinking of getting the Leather aftermarket because I would like to add heated seats and lumbar support.