1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ready to order - any words of encouragement?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mudmanrv, May 16, 2012.

1. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, so I think I've finally decided on a V over the standard gen 3.
    Having family of 5 total - kids ages 9 months, 7, and 11 ... I think the space is justified...over mileage - even though I commute 40-50 miles one way each day. worst case - if the V gets the rated 42mpg avg., it's still double what I get now -(20mpg)

I have narrowed my choices to BP with dark grey interior - or magnetic grey metallic with dark grey interior. Not sure an upcharge in paint is worth it - though 200 is a wash in the grand scheme of the 28k price tag. I'm going package 3. can't afford 5 - and 2 seemed too bland...i don't know.

so my questions are - the dealer found me one that was 100-120 miles away, and delaer traded for it ... but they drove it from other dealer. so this new car has over 150 miles on it. then they give me the speal about can't come down on price and still make profit having to pay driver to get it, etc. so we started talking ordering ...which i was advised could take up to 12 weeks. plus requires $500 deposit.

to me, i'm buying a "new" car (and this is my first ever "new" purchase) ... I want darn near 0 miles. so i'm thinking order one.

what are the options that are a must - besides floor mats - mud flaps? I would rather buy those aftermarket then pay dealer prices...

help me out - what's the right thing here- and what are the "must haves"

thanks!!

2. Mx5

Mx5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think that the V looks too big in BP,
    I would get the gray.

If you don't mind waiting and can get a price, wait.
    I have been waiting a few weeks for mine and it seems like forever.

If you are selling your old car that also makes waiting very difficult.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius v sounds good to me...if they had v's in 2006 I would have got one then.

4. Grappas

Grappas New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everyones situation is different so whether or not it's worth waiting to you is entirely up to your own needs. Having said that, from what I've heard, production on the V's has slowed down to make room for more Prius C production as that is the product they are pushing the hardest right now so it could be a little longer than usual before your ordered V comes in. I completely understand the feeling of having a brand new car with zero miles on it but to you may end up missing out on any kind of deal if you wait to long.

I say put it back on the dealership. Ask them what kind of deal they'd give you if they didn't have to go get a V for you from another dealership, then subtract the hours it cost them to send a driver to get it and just tell them to give you a discount on the difference for the V they have to get for you.

5. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd say a bumper protector either the appliqué or the plastic one. I'd go with plastic personally. It's available from the PC shop. I'd suggest an aftermarket cargo mat too. Husky makes one that folks like. These are my first thoughts.

Our v3 had about 300 miles on it for the same reason and yes they can come down. What kind of price are they giving you?
    W

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You should have had the conversation with the dealer before he dealer traded for it. He is out some bucks and now has to find a buyer for a car with some miles on it.
    When I first retired I drove dealer trades and occasionally went 70 miles out to get one (Subarus). I was always very gentle with the cars and treated them as if they were mine. I figured if some guy was going to make $450 a month payments he should get the best cared for first miles I could give him. These days however many dealers make their salesmen go get the cars, I personally never buy one of those, I've seen many a car salesman drive......

8. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    they were originally talking 28k... then i hit them with a truecar quote i got at 27190... thats when they said they couldn't come down on this one and make money - since they paid a guy to go get it...blah blah.. and fyi it was 200 over dealer invoice.... i'm looking at true car.. and yeah might be 200 over dealer invoice but not dealer cost - they got room...

the president of our company suggested this guy as he's friends with him at his church--- supposed to get us a great deal - you know the story. when we first started talking - he quoted me msrp. (what a great deal) lmao...i'm like, man, that's sticker price- he's like - well these things are in high demand and selling as fast or faster then they are coming in... I'm like - to myself - so, who pays sticker?

9. David Prius V

David Prius V Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ours is Magnetic Gray and we really like the color, but I think all of the colors look great. We were in a similar situation before we found ours. The dealer was initially going to have a "runner" go get a car in Fort Lauderdale and drive it the 200 miles back. I wasn't comfortable that the runner would drive the car the way we would. Luckily one came in like we wanted negating the need for the other. However, in the scheme of things, I don't think it really matters. Within a few weeks you'll have a thousand miles...if it's going to be a long wait otherwise, I'd just go for it.

10. Cap'n

Cap'n Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, years ago we had to trade for a new car from another dealer, too. Therefore our "new" car was delivered to us with 187 miles on it. My wife anguished over that -- I was not thrilled, either -- but as said above, in a few weeks, it's a non-issue.

1 person likes this.
  11. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think he's got at least $600-700 to negotiate. I think he's banking on you not knowing about dealer hold back. Also keep in mind your location (Midwest) that v are in shorter supply. I don't think the Midwest or east coast will see the California good deals. We paid $250 over invoice but had a lot of accessories thrown in. Make the dealer get creative. Accessories? Gas card? He has room to move but you need to be willing as well. You play hardball expect it in return. W

12. 12Priusv5

12Priusv5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You drive 100 miles a day and you are worried about 150 miles that the dealer put on to get you the car YOU wanted. I doubt you'll care about it when you have 25K miles on it.

A deal should've been finalized before they ran and got it. Not your fault they did that. If they won't deal don't worry should be plenty of 3's

We couldn't find a 5 back in FEB when we were looking. We ordered one and it is just now getting into the states. Trust me when I say it's the longest 12 weeks in the world...especially when you are wanting to get rid of the old one.