1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ready?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by beakyz, Jul 9, 2006.

1. beakyz

beakyz New Member

OK, I've searched and can't seem to find out what the deal is with the READY light on the dash. It's on when the car starts and when I'm driving. Well, at least I know it's ready, but ready for what?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Autosmiler

Autosmiler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beakyz @ Jul 9 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]283587[/snapback]</div>
    My manual's in the car right now, but I think it's because you can push the power button without stepping on the brake pedal, which will turn on your audio but not the hybrid. Push it again without stepping, and it will activate air conditioning and other things, but still not the hybrid. At these times, the ready light won't go on (I don't think, anyway. I've tried these things but haven't paid attention to that signal.) Push it once more and everything turns off. If you push power while stepping on the pedal, then the hybrid system will start and the READY light will go on to say you can drive now. I don't know why it doesn't turn off while driving though.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Think about it, Mark. How would you know your Prius is READY to roll unless it told you? As autosmiler noted, if your foot isn't pressing the brake pedal when you hit the POWER button, the lights and MFD come on, but you aren't ready to go. If you watch the indicator when you mash the brake and hit POWER, until READY comes on, you can't select a gear.

Ready, steady, go!

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The ORIGINAL model Prius was not always "ready" right after turning the key. Bad things happen when you forced it into Drive prematurely. I recall one report of that happening on a CLASSIC model, but not seeing "ready" immediately was incredibly rare.

There may be rare circumstances where that could still be true for the HSD model... hence a "ready" indicator still.

After 116,800 miles, I still haven't ever seen it not ready.

5. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's quick, John, but if I step on the brake, hit the power button, and immediately slap the lever for reverse, nothing happens. That's why I noticed that the READY signal comes on a fraction of a second after the motion direction indicators illuminate. Power up takes about a second on my 2005 Silver Cloud.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    READY means it's ready to drive. If there is no READY light, the car won't go. It's just letting you know. Basically it's your ON indicator. Other cars tell you they are ON by the noise of the engine. And they tell you they are off when the engine stops. The prius can be on when the engine is not running, so the READY light tells you.

Also, if you stop the car, the engine will stop, but the car is not OFF unless the READY light goes off. So don't get out and leave your car if the READY light is on.

7. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Autosmiler @ Jul 9 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]283594[/snapback]</div>
    There doesn't appear to be any section devoted to the READY light, but FWIW, there's some information relevant to the practical use of the READY light on page 12, "Starting Your Vehicle."

In short, you won't learn anything new about it in the manual that you haven't already learned reading this thread.

8. beakyz

beakyz New Member

I guess the confusing thing is that it is ready while I'm driving it. I think I know that!

9. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you want inscrutable Japanese thinking, consider the light in the power button. When is it on, when is it off? What is the relation between READY and the switch light?

10. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beakyz @ Jul 9 2006, 11:10 PM) [snapback]283700[/snapback]</div>
    Not confusing if you realize that it really means "ON". Since there is often no noise when you stop, there could be the chance that you may accidentally leave the vehicle while still "ON"...so it is also a reminder to turn the vehicle "OFF". It also indicates that there are no problems with the system...and helps you to avoid driving if there was an issue...unlike a normal car which would still drive even with a problem potentially giving you a problem down the road.

I think of it as a computer system...and you need to know when it is up and running...and clear for take off!

11. Anubis

Anubis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 10 2006, 12:17 AM) [snapback]283703[/snapback]</div>
    Reminds me of a Prius owner who forgot to turn off his car...

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=19398&hl=12+mpg

(see post #17 by Tom 06)

12. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 9 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]283615[/snapback]</div>