1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Real HV battery issue or is my CVT going bad?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Beachbummm, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    2008 Prius 163,000 miles, 12 volt is about 2 years old, still showing 12.4 volt after sitting over night..
    car goes into ready mode fine.

drove about 5 miles this morning with the defroster on and got the red triangle of death..battery was down to one purple bar but quickly recovered..as I drove home it went to all blue bars but never got into the green.

the car has a hard time moving after stopping at a red light, ICE running all the time, but reverse feels fine. it backed into the driveway normally.

hooked to tech stream got the following
    c1310 hv system malfunction
    P3000-123 battery control system
    P3017 (No blue star next to code)
    P3021 battery block 11 becomes weak
    P3024 battery block 14 becomes weak
    and
    ABS C1310

I have replaced mods on battery packs in the past but never had 4 fail at once and the car not moving under its own power, so Im wondering if the CVT is on its way out..

got 48mpg on this last tank so I was surprised when it started acting up this morning.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P3021 battery block 11 becomes weak
    P3024 battery block 14 becomes weak
    These codes are for failed components inside the hybrid battery.

I assume you have equipment so that you can watch the voltage of the blocks in real time?
    Watch the data live and you will be able to confirm that the codes are real.

Otherwise, are you sure you appropriately torqued each nut on the module terminals?
    Over-torqueing them can lead to failure or false readings Same with under-torquing them.
    Do you remember what setting you used on your torque wrench when tightening them?

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Your pack is shot. You know the rest.

GOOD LUCK!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    this pack was in the car when I got it a few months ago so I assume its never been screwed with, I have not removed it from the car yet so I don't know what I will find inside.. when I saw 4 weak I figured its not charring properly..thats why I wanted some input before pulling the car apart.. the replacement mods I have installed were in other Prii I have had over the years.. never used a torque wrench but I will.. what are the spec's?
    Thanks

5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thanks, I can do the pack, not doing a cvt ..

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Two modules comprise a block in techstream so you could only have two weak modules. The safe advice is to replace both blocks (all 4 modules) but you can load test them individually to find the bad ones.

7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    last time I used a halogen fog light as a load per block. but you are right Im going to order 4.. just didn't want to waste the time and money if the codes indicated something more serious... wish someone sold replacement brass contacts reasonably , they are a pain to clean

fotomoto likes this.
  8. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can save yourself money if you test each module and just replace the ones that are lowest in those two blocks that are weak.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.