1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Real life average mileage since you bought your '04

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by RobertO, Nov 26, 2003.

?
  1. Less than 43 MPG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. More than 43 MPG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertO

RobertO New Member

I got mine early thorugh a fluke. Desert Pearl with AM-7, rear mat and such. Love the car. Now about 1,500 miles going into my 4th tank.

Average MPG (mostly hilly urban, suburban terrain) is a bit over 42 MPG. I tend to feather the throttle, use "B" on hills to a stop. Haven't really pushed the envelope although dealer says I should stand on it on it couple of times a week of times a week. Otherwise could show "O2 Code" issues.

I NEVER expect to see 50+ MPG. Although I believe nowadays anything over 35 MPG is gravy, why did they hike up the MPG in the marketing hype? I'll be happy to see anything over 45 MPG anyway!

So what MPG are you getting, what kind of conditions, terrain?

RobertO
    Bellevue WA

2. pat

pat New Member

I've got close to 1,800 miles on my Seaside BC after about a month. I use it predominately for a commute car so it gets mostly freeway miles here in California (San Jose to Monterey). It's a combination of flat and hilly terrain. My 4 tanks have been improving: 46, 49, 49, and 51. (I am a relatively easy driver.)

3. blubrid

blubrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just filled up my '04 Seaside Pearl AM for the first time last night (364 miles and just over a week of driving). Took 8.529 gallons (display mpg 44.4, calculated mpg 42.7). I drive 60 miles a day mostly highway (Ashburn, VA to Rockville, MD) although some of that highway in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I'm finding that I'm getting better mpg in highway driving than in the short jaunts around the neighborhood.

4. JeffG

JeffG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Roberto, I'd not use the "B" selection unless you REALLY need it. You should be doing MUCH better than that as I can keep my 03 very near 50mpg without too much trouble. Tricks to getting maximum fuel economy is to coast as much as possible, keep your speed at or near the limit of the roadway, and easy starts that allow the electric motor to get the car going at least 10 to 15 mph before the engine kicks in. I am currently sitting at 53.6 mpg according to the computer on my Prius. I don't expect it to stay that high, but it's neat to brag about for now. :D My last tank was 48 mpg, and I have a fairly hilly highway drive myself that is coupled temporarily with a 6 mile stretch of traffic lights.

6. rreb

rreb New Member

I now have 225 miles of experience - mostly around town - just over 40 then filled the tank and reset and am getting 45 ish - will use it for my 20 mi each way commute starting tomorrow. I'm delighted to be getting twice the mileage of my previous car (saab) and thanks to some posts have figured out a few tricks to up the mileage. My guess is that 45 plus or minus will be indicative but who knows... anything over 40 is great!

7. JeffG

JeffG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For the last few days my mpg seems down by about 5 mpg. It has been colder. Does cold lower mpg?

8. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Battery efficiency is reduced in cold, and the catalytic convertor needs to be kept warm as well so that it will work correctly. Both of these will result in the engine running more, and fuel economy dropping.

9. Clearwtr

Clearwtr New Member

I found that the cruise control increased my highway mileage from ~ 43 to 51! I'm getting better mileage on the hwy than in town, but I seem to be driving differently ( to increase mileage) than I used to.(9 yrs of jeep grand cherokees)

10. Jazzer

Jazzer New Member

Mileage

I'm a Prius Wanna Be...as in, I wanna be getting my new car, but I Needa Be Patient. I have, nevertheless, read much about the vehicle. The EPA it seems, plays a large role in mileage testing and reports. Using arcane and aging standards, they test all vehicles and create unrealistic mileage ratings as a result. This is not a Communist Plot by Toyota. And while I (like most other existing or future Prius owners) am "mileage excited", I'm resisting the notion of becoming mileage obsessed. My Volvo gets 23mpg. I'll probably pee in my pants if I ever see above 30..and 45- 50??? It's like stealing. Most cars (obviously) can't touch that. I know, I've owned them. And to be honest, isn't being different by driving a quirky, revolutionary new thingamabob a big part of the allure? I can't wait to find out :)

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just under 2000 miles, have filled the tank 5 times and just did a spread-sheet with my lifetime miles. I'm dead on 44MPG with mixed driving. Until the previous tank I was at 45.2MPG, but I had about 300 miles of freeway driving at about 79 MPH for most of that distance and that really made a hit on the milage (around 37-38 MPG).

I'm learning a lot about the car, it seems to be 'loosening up some' and I think, come the warm months I should be able to get around 48 mpg, maybe even 50 if I really behave. But I suspect my lifetime numbers will end up around the 47-48 mark. We'll see.
    --evan

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's a rough idea of how we can input our data into an excel spreadsheet and I can keep it updated on the site:

http://priuschat.com/mpgtracking.htm

(must have IE 5.1 or higher, I believe to view the page)

If you input anything on this page, it will not save to the spreadsheet, but you can download the spreadsheet, and then input your data, email it to me, and I can merge everyone's data onto one webpage as long as we all use one template.

Let me know what you think.

13. JeffG

JeffG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting idea, but I couldn't get it to work on Netscape v7.2 or Explorer 6.0 and clicking the link to install the Office 2003 thing just took me to a non-working page.

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, it seems many people are having problems with it - I'm using Office 2003 so there may be some compatibility issues.

How about this? Just download it from this post, input your data, save it with your username as the file name, and then email it back to me at [email protected] .

So, in my case it would be AdminCoop.xls.

Does that work better?

16. Aprill's Toy

Aprill's Toy New Member

We have traveled 1,500 miles in our 2004 Prius and get 51 miles to the gallon.

17. priusnv

priusnv New Member

Owned an '01. PUt 64,000 on it with overall average just over 50mpg. I drive very conservatively; always at the speed limit, dity and country, accelerate quickly to desired speed, use cruise control whenever over 23 mph. I attempt to anticipate stop lights in order not to have to stop and keep rollling momentum. Living in Wisconsin I pay a penalty for the coldest four months of the year but make u0p for it in the Summer.

I am so far disappointed with the 04, I have 2500 on the car. I drive it exactly as I did the '0n but am averaging only about 46-47 mpg. I am getting lots of stupid answers from the dealer who just seems to be making things up as he goes. "Break-in period>" An article stating that the APrius cannot get its EPA estimates because those "don't work" with hybrids, etc.

I am anticipating better mileage after maybe 5,000 miles. But since I was able to match EPA estimates on the '01 I will be pretty upset if I cannot do the same on the '04.

18. FredWB

FredWB New Member

Wow April's Toy 51 mpg is pretty good. Is that mostly highway? I'm still on the first tank and trying different routes to work. One gave me 60+ mpg for 13 miles. But another gave me 38 mpg for 11 miles. That last one was through a neighborhood with about 16 speed bumps! You can't get beyond 25 or 30 before you have to slow down to 15 or 20. So I know the Prius is not very good there. But overall for about 250 miles I'm around 47 mpg according to the computer.

For me the 51 highway rating will be the easiest to meet just by doing 65 mph. I think the 60 mpg can be approached but maybe not met consistantly. Have to stay away from those speed bumps for sure!

19. Price Taylor

Price Taylor New Member

I'm in the greater Seattle, WA area (Eastside...) and am getting 45mpg in mixed driving. Includes one trip to Vancouver, BC, one trip to Portland, OR and one trip to Leavenworth, WA (over mountains).

I think that the colder weather is definitely keeping my mpg at this mark although I can't say I'm really disappointed.

Price

20. slprius

slprius Junior Member

I'm in San Francisco. Lots of hills and stop signs. After 3000 miles, I'm getting about 38 mpg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.