1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Real-World Electric Vehicle Fueling Costs May Surprise New EV Drivers

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Salamander_King, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Real-World Electric Vehicle Fueling Costs May Surprise New EV Drivers

The pdf verision of the study can be found in this link: https://www.andersoneconomicgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/EVtransition_FuelingCostStudy_10-21-21.pdf

Excerpt from a news article:
    Charging an EV or Filling Up Your Tank With Gas?

• In 2020, the Department of Energy (DOE) released a study that was more comprehensive than those that had come before. Using a state-level assessment of EV charging costs, the study’s results were much more granular than what came out of previous studies, which assumed a singular value.
    • DOE says that the average cost of electricity for an EV is $0.04 per mile, which means it costs $9 to fully charge a battery with a 200-mile range. By comparison, it costs between $0.07 and $0.10 per mile to fuel a gas car, according to AAA.
    • On Oct. 21, 2021, the Anderson Economic Group — a respected economic consulting firm with decades of auto industry experience — released the results of its own study, which was six months in the making.
    • Anderson parsed the costs of EV charging much more finely, going beyond just a state-by-state breakdown to examine rural/urban variations. The new methodology also separated vehicles by segment, use and cost.
    • Annually, presuming 12,000 miles driven, it would cost $1,030 to drive a gas car versus $1,554 for an EV.
    Well, in my area, the cost of home charging is much higher than the national average. If the DOE formula used $0.25/kWh, the cost-benefit of the BEV is likely to reverse even before considering other factors used in this recent Anderson study. This is even more true when a car like mine PriusPrime is compared to any other BEV on the current market. The Prius Prime with lower initial purchase cost, lower ongoing fuel cost, and lower maintenance cost than most average cars in the market, it would be hard to find any car that is more economical. While I would love to switch to a full BEV for my daily driver, purely from an economic standpoint, BEV is still substantially more expensive to own and operate for many including myself.

What is your take on this?

#1 Salamander_King, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    MTN and jackalope like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One should always use local cost and metrics. For Huntsville AL:
    • $0.12 / kWh (Huntsville utilities)
      • ~1/3 shopping miles are free chargers
    • $2.75 / gal regular (gas buddy)
    • $3.01 / gal premium (gas buddy)
    We have two EVs:
    • 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus Model 3
      • 25 kWh / 100 miles (EPA metrics)
    • 2014 BMW i3-REx
      • 29 kWh / 100 miles (EPA metrics)
      • 39 MPG (EPA metrics)
    2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range
    • $0.12 * 25 = $3.00 / 100 miles
    • $0.03 / mile
    • $0.02 / mile including free miles
    2014 BMW i3-REx
    • $0.12 * 29 = $3.48 / 100 miles
    • $0.0348 / mile
    • $0.030 / mile including free miles
    I don't have a basis of estimate for Rex operation but you are welcome to do your estimate. The problem is cross country travel is exposed to different gasoline costs. Furthermore, cross country miles are difficult to estimate.

So I can not replicate the claimed study results. You really need to do your local calculations.

Bob Wilson

privilege likes this.
  3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Electricity isn’t as cheap as it used to be while gas is still pretty cheap compared to the Bush JR years.

Those 2 things make the price parity for “fueling” closer than it should be but still somewhat cheaper leaning EV in most areas.

Once you figure taxes and the higher up front cost of a typical BEV your probably driving at a higher TCO even after reduced maintenance.

Really depends on what gas vehicles you would be driving VRS what EV alongside your local situation. Solar and other related local decisions also may make a big difference to the value metrics.

End of the day main reasons to drive a BEV aren’t normally just due to costs but it’s worth running the numbers for your situation

One would hope we could railroad consistent policy on the charging / taxation side nationwide to level or even motivate the playing field but that seems hopeless at this point. Some states are “fairer “ than others, outside moving not much to be done.

4. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    • Annually, presuming 12,000 miles driven, it would cost $1,030 to drive a gas car versus $1,554 for an EV.
    ^^ I understand that it was a real study and all, but that sounds insane. If that were 100 percent true for everyone, who the heck would spend the extra $$ for an EV? Instead of a 2021 Toyota Prius for $27k, get a 2021 Nissan Versa which gets 40MPG highway, and can be had for $18k or so with packages & options, but it starts at $15,080! It won't have all the comfy tech features of the Prius, unless you spend more or move up to the Sentra or Altima, but.... yeah I don't get it. Then factor in the rebates $4,502 fed tax rebate and state rebates if you got the 2021 Prius Prime... I do not know. If the numbers were $1,030 for a gas car and $1,100 for an EV, I could maybe say to myself, well I guess that's all dependent on their methodology; but we are talking a $524 difference here - not to mention the usual higher cost of the EV vehicle:

2022 Toyota Corolla: $20,075 starting price
    2022 Toyota Corolla Hybrid: $23,650 starting price
    -----
    2022 Toyota Camry: $25,295 starting price
    2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid: $27,3870 starting price
    -----
    2022 Honda Accord: $25,470 starting price
    2022 Honda Accord Hybrid: $26,670

Now if we are talking about plug in and fully electric vehicles ONLY, then this all changes. Because there is no "regular" gasoline run 2022 Nissan Leaf. There is only the 2022 fully electric Nissan Leaf. If thats the case then this all changes, I suppose! :) LOL..

Actually, one should compare our own. 2022 Prius Prime vs 2022 Prius. Even though its only a 25-30 mile charge, it still takes 5-6 hours for that to complete on a standard house/garage outlet, and of course that costs $. Also factor in the extra 265+lbs thats in the rear of the Prime for the battery.... I do not know. This is a tough one.

#4 Storm88000, Dec 30, 2021
  5. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Here's why you could not replicate the study results. It is including cost of ownership and you are only looking at gas and home electricity costs.

The study included this section:
    EVs are often presumed to be less expensive to fuel than their ICE coun-
    terparts. There is a rationale in physics for this: due to greater thermal
    efficiency, electric motors convert energy more efficiently than combus-
    tion engines. However, this cost is only one of five. For a complete pic-
    ture, we must consider:
    Commercial and residential electric power/fuel costs.
    Registration taxes.
    3. Equipment (e.g., chargers) and installation costs.
    4. Deadhead miles incurred driving to a charger or fueling station.
    5. The cost of time spent refueling.

The costs of energy from the Tesla Supercharger network is hard to determine unless you have an account with tesla. All you find online is spot prices that may vary from place to place and day to day.

I have to agree with the study: if you want to get people to buy into EVs, you need to make the total cost of ownership better than what is available from a PHEV like the Prius Prime. When running in EV mode the Prius matches (within a percent or two) the top BEVs for emissions abatement while having less environmental impact from building the car and significantly lower maintenance costs.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let me suggest using fueleconomy.gov for fueling costs:
    upload_2021-12-30_4-55-44.png

Do any of these cars seem familiar?

The first one is mine, on the driveway with 59,045 miles after 2 years, 10 months.

Bob Wilson

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The whole point of the new study is that it parsed the costs of EV charging much more finely than the DOE figure you posted, going beyond just a state-by-state breakdown to examine rural/urban variations. The new methodology also separated vehicles by segment, use, and cost.

As pointed by @dbstoo, the DOE figures and your own figures do not include the cost of 1. commercial charger, 2. registration taxes, 3. charging equipment, 4, Deadhead miles incurred driving to a charger or fueling station, 5. the cost of time spent refueling. DOE figure is based on the average utility cost at home and gas price, which I think is a bit short-sighted.

As you suggested, one must use the local rate in order to get a more realistic real-world cost. For many living in NE, this cost is almost double your rate. For me, as long as the gas price stays below $3/gal, there is no way BEV costs less to operate than an efficient hybrid like a PP. Of almost 5 years of ownership of PP, only this year, the gas price climbed above $3/gal locally, making the EV more economical to drive than HV.

#7 Salamander_King, Dec 30, 2021
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    people who think buying an ev will save them money are on a fools errand

MTN, fotomoto and Salamander_King like this.
  9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm waiting for the study on how much time and money is spent on maintenance of those ICE vehicles. I'm sticking with my two EVs. ;)

austingreen and bwilson4web like this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Regarding;

3. Cost to buy/install evse ~ $250-$550 depending on whether you already have a 240v circuit or not. So if you charge a couple times a week, for 5 to 7 years of ownership, you're looking at roughly $1 per use .... maybe an extra 2¢/mile
    4. Deadhead? An EV that gets 200 - 250 miles will refill at home 95% of the time. WAY less deadhead cost then a gasser.
    5. Plugging in at home, end of day took us an average of 10 to 12 seconds - plug in & unplug in the morning. Less time wasted then with a Gasser sitting in line for 15 minutes at Costco.

What this survey fails to address is that many ev owners install solar panels - & many more are planning to. it took us 6 years of free electricity to amortize the cost of the panels that supply both of our cars and our whole house period. So after that? we were driving pretty much on free fuel. on the other hand you don't find many people running a personal refinery on their rooftop for your Gasser.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Been working out for me since 2019 when I got my first Leaf. I'm on my 3rd one now. 74,000 EV miles.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A gas tank in a 20 Y.O. Ford pickup holds exactly the same amount of fuel as it did when new. The fuel container (battery) in a 20 Y.O. Ford lightning will hold substantially less fuel than when new.

Combine that with expectation that in future years batteries are expected to be much better than current ones, how will that effect resale value?

Not sure how to take that into account in TCO.

fotomoto likes this.
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    take into account the 20-year old gas in a pickup or any Gasser will substantially have turned into varnish. The electrons, although a given there will be parasitic loss, the remaining ones will still be fresh.
    The real question would be why did you buy either of the 2 vehicles that you never use.
    Just a red herring?

austingreen and royrose like this.
  14. triggerhappy007

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    From the article:
    • Level 1 chargers cost an average of $600 to install and can take 20 hours to fully charge an EV.

• Level 2 chargers are much faster but cost $1,600.
    Really? How many of us spend any money at all to install a level 1 charger?

The article is sus. Calculate the true costs of everything for yourself, don't just go by what someone says.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had to replace the gas tank in a 12 year old Ford (not a pickup, but the Ranger pickup used the same platform) because it had rusted through.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Level 1 chargers come with the car.

17. triggerhappy007

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    That's my point. It seems like the author has an agenda.

MTN likes this.
  18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not think this study is worth anything as their numbers seem far off on purpose. They did not include tesla's even though they have the most market share in the US. I guess if you charge on the road all the time and not at home or office, then their numbers make sense, but ... that is a really bad assumption.

A potential EV or PHEV buyer should look into the cost of their own electricity and cost of installing charging equipment. These vary widely.

If I had a 240 VAC dryer outlet in my garage the charger that came with my tesla would have cost $0. To have the dryer outlet installed and the break out of the line cost $1500. My brother has an older house in atlanta, it would have cost him $4000 to upgrade his power and get it installed. For me I expect to live in the house for 20 years and we may be getting a second plug in ;-) That and the $213 georgia plug-in tax a year was a deal breaker for my brother.
    Yes this is the assumption that really makes the numbers look ridiculous.
    I really like not waiting at gas stations ;-)

My panels have an 11 year payback period. This also depends greatly on where you live. They are warranted for 25 years, but I would never call the electricity free. Still it is much cheaper than gasoline

19. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My personal experience is that it costs $.85 to charge the PP ($.13 per KWH) to drive roughly 25 miles. It costs me $50. more or less to fill the tank in my 4Runner ($3.50 per gallon) to go about 200 miles. (14 mpg and 14 gallons). That comes to 7.3 times more expensive to drive the 4Runner than the PP.

20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It comes from the footnote of the study result:
    (f) Applies only to EVs. We assume L1 charger costs $600 and L2 charger (with installation) costs $1,600. This cost is amortized over 5 years.

I am assuming the cost for the L1 charger is if you had to purchase one that did not come with the car. OEM charger can be that expensive. But you and I know, we never spend that much on the L1 charger. OTOH, L2 charger cost of $1,600 including installation seems a bargain to me. For me, L2 installation is close to $10K.

Here is the methodology used for the study:
    Step 3: Calculating additional charger cost per year
    1. We assume drivers who rely on mostly commercial charging have
    only an L1 charger for home-charging, and those who rely mostly on
    residential charging have an L2 charger.
    2. We collect the cost of chargers and installation from Edmunds (2020),
    Graham (2021), HomeServe.com (2021), and advertising from utilities
    such as DTE Energy (n.d.). We then calculate an average.
    3. We calculate the additional charger cost per year by amortizing the
    cost of chargers over five years.
    The result of the study is this:
    upload_2021-12-30_11-17-47.png

#20 Salamander_King, Dec 30, 2021
    john1701a likes this.