1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Real-world Roadster range?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by daniel, May 7, 2009.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I spoke on the phone with a fellow whose friend just got his Roadster a couple of weeks ago. This guy says he got way less than the reputed 245 miles on a charge. I mentioned that the range depends a lot on driving style, which my fellow knows very well since he drives a Corbin Sparrow. He said his friend was not driving aggressively.

Does anybody have real-world range figures for the Roadster? Just curious. I'm not planning on getting one.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks Evan. After posting the above I decided to sign up over there. As you suggested, I did a search, and came up with the attached chart. We all knew that speed affects range, but I was surprised how much.

The conversion shop is saying that my Porsche will be shipped soon. I'll believe it when I have it. They've made and broken so many promises regarding completion dates that I no longer believe anything they say.

Attached Files:

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2009 Tesla Roadster - Road Test/2009 Tesla Roadster/Roadster/Tesla/Buying Guide/Car and Driver - Car And Driver said:

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Funny that C&D *still* doesn't get it wrt energy economy.

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I sat in a Tesla and was given a ride, about two years ago. The above is an exaggeration. However, I found the back-tilted seats so uncomfortable that I didn't think I'd enjoy the car much. (I understand that the seats in the production car are better than the ones in the prototype I rode in.) I also did not like that the seats are low to the floor, so your legs stick out in front of you much more so than with a conventional car. I have been told that both the low seat, and the back-tilted back rest are typical of roadsters. That's what a roadster is, so I'm told. A Porsche is much more comfortable, while still having the sports-car look. For all that, I'd have bought a Roadster if one had been available, since I very much wanted to go electric. I balked at giving them a $50,000 deposit and then waiting over a year (as they then estimated -- it turned out that over two years was more like it). I ended up getting the Xebra instead. One-tenth the cost, 1/6 the range, and about 1/10 the acceleration. :D

7. prius2go

prius2go Member

It must be a US vs UK thing ;)
    The Elise seats are supposed to be one of the most comfortable made - little padding but just the right shape. The only comfort feature they have is adjustable lumbar.
    I'm assuming the Tesla has the same seats.

What is comfort anyway? :)

8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Daniel,

Here's some anecdotal information:

A friend of a work-mate owns a Tesla and he brought it by our
    workplace on Tuesday. I got to sit in it, very low, lots of squirming
    around the steering wheel. ( I cannot afford this car. I have no
    defendable reason to own a car like this. I really want a car like this...
    NOW!)

As I scanned the controls and displays, my eyes came to rest on the
    battery status screen which said 111 miles.

Me: What's the full-charge range?

Bill: The manual says 220 miles. Today I left home showing 180 miles,
    drove 40 miles, and it says 111 miles.

Me: So, you were driving pretty fast?

Bill: Yeah, we (he had a passenger) we're "playing around" on the way
    in.

Me silently taking note of the radar detector, illegal in Maryland: Did
    that include exceeding the speed limit? (Max speed on route he would
    have taken is 65 MPH)

Bill: Yeah, big time!

Me: 75?

Bill: Way more...

Me: So, what about on the way home?

Bill: I'll be much closer to the speed limit.

Me: Just how low have you run the battery meter?

Bill: I prefer to get home with more than 50 miles left, you never
    know about traffic, detours, that kind of stuff.

Hope this helps.

9. SaucyRed

SaucyRed BEV jockey these days

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've had a Roadster for a little over a month now. I've taken two trips over 200 miles: 210 and 250 (several other owners were with me on the second trip). I would say that the 244-mile range is possible in the real world; no weird driving habits required. But you do have to be careful to not waste anything.

When we are pushing the envelope and want to make sure we will get the full range, we put the top on, keep it under 60mph, and don't use a lot of heat, A/C or headlights. Taking the top off, turning the lights on and using a lot of heat and A/C will drop range around 10%, maybe 15%. Going faster will reduce your range as noted in the graph above. But the worst thing is accelerating quickly. If you are driving around town and take off fast from every stoplight, it is easy to drop your range by 1/3rd.

REALLY hard driving, such as at a track, can cut it in half. Or so I've heard from other owners; I have not tried it with my car.

A lot of people ask about hills; they aren't so bad. Sure you use a lot more energy going up them; but you gain the vast majority it when you go down the other side. The net amount lost is small compared to the energy it takes to push the car along at 60mph.

--Chad

P.S. Obviously it will vary from person to person, but I find the Roadster seats quite comfortable, even on long trips.