1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

realistic mileage for my commute

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by draheim, Apr 23, 2010.

1. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hello all,

I am still a newbie, having owned my 2010 Prius for about 4 weeks now. I posted a previous thread about my regular commute and got some very helpful tips to maximize mileage, some of which I have put into practice (increasing tire pressure, attempting pulse & glide) and some of which I have not (blocking the grill, EB heater).

This new thread has a couple of very specific questions for anyone who can help me. I have read lots of threads on this board over the past few weeks and gotten a pretty general idea of what I can realistically expect in terms of MPG, but I'm still confused by how some people can get 70 MPG (including owners of brand-new Priuses) while others of us are struggling to keep theirs above 40. I'm providing some specific information below to help explain this discrepancy in my particular case, and will conclude with the two key questions I'm searching for an answer to. Please bear with me.

I basically have two different commutes, depending on the day of the week. I'm using Google Maps to calculate distances based on my actual routes. On M-W-F I drive 3.1 miles to the bus stop, including a stop about halfway to drop my daughter off at daycare. That trip has one small hill, but the 1.8-mile return trip from the bus stop at the end of the day is one long, steady climb (for those of you who know Seattle, 15th Ave. NW from 65th to 85th is more than a mile of 5-7% grade, I would guess; a topo map would be useful to calculate this). So that's 4.9 miles each day on 3 days, with 2 cold starts per day.

On T-Th my commute to a different bus stop is about 2.8 miles and includes a couple of hills. The return trip, including the stop to pick up my daughter at daycare, is 4.6 miles and involves one very steep climb (from Aurora over Phinney Ridge at about 65th Ave. for those of you who know Seattle) and then another steady climb up 15th Ave. NW. So that's 7.4 miles each day on 2 days, with 2 cold starts per day.

So the bottom line is my commute on 3 days is 14.7 miles total (4.9 miles per day), and my commute on the other 2 days is 14.8 miles total (7.4 miles per day). Grand total for a given week = 29.5 miles with 10 cold starts, plus several hills of varying length and steepness (both up and down) and lots of stop-and-go traffic. Of course both of these commutes also have some nice downhill sections where I can either coast or even have to ride my brake a little bit. Temperatures have been in the 40s and 50s, which is typical for Seattle maybe 8 months of the year.

My first question is, can I expect better than about 42 MPG for this commuting routine, even with tires inflated to 42F/40R?

My second question is, is it possible to do pulse & glide up steady hills like I have described (5-7% grade for more than a mile)? To get up 15th Ave. NW I typically have to go into full PWR mode for a while to get myself up to 35 MPH, but even after that just to keep my speed steady I have to be well into the right side of ECO mode. Or is P&G only really possible on long, flat stretches with little stop-and-go traffic (the kind that basically doesn't exist in this town)? I also have watched one of the P&G videos posted here so I have a pretty good idea about how it works. I just don't know how often I can actually employ this driving technique given my particular terrain and traffic patterns.

I don't intend this message to sound like a complaint. I'm very happy with the car, especially when I think that I was probably getting about 18 MPG in my old car (VW Jetta) doing the same short hilly routes and 10 cold starts. My commute routes, climate, and terrain are what they are. But when I saw "51 MPG City" on that EPA sticker before I bought the car, that's kind of what I was expecting. City driving by definition involves lots of stop-and-go traffic; or are all the cold starts and short trips killing my MPG?

Thank you to those of you who made it to the end of this message. I just wanted to be thorough so I can hopefully get some well-informed responses. (And I know some of you will just say, "relax, enjoy the car," etc. so you don't have to bother. I'm still interested in finding strategies to maximize fuel efficiency since that is the key reason I went w/ the Prius over the Camry hybrid or any other car.)

Enjoy your weekends everybody!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    (I intend to make unfounded statements in this post that are just my opinion, no one knows what was in the minds of the designers except the designers)

While owners of the Prius often buy it for it's good gas mileage, I remain unconvinced it was designed to get good mileage. I think it was designed to pollute the least; one of the ways to emit the least amount of unburned hydrocarbons is to take in the least amount of hydrocarbons. Good gas mileage is a byproduct of one of it's emissions strategies.
    When you first fire up a Prius it has other priorities: Protecting the gas engine from startup stresses, protecting the HV Battery from over and under charging, and reducing pollution by warming up the catalytic converter. None of these strategies help short term gas mileage, but they help long term, the car lasts longer and the world is less smoggy.

Once the car is 'warm' it starts to conserve gas as a pollution strategy. (the buzzword here is stage 4, earlier stages have different priorities) As a frugal owner, you hope for an early stage 4. I am doubtful that any trick will warm the Prius up enough in 2.8 to 3.1 miles. (I rarely go such a short distance, so I am not positive)

(You see the interest in grill blocking and Engine Block Heaters, they will hurry along stage 4)

So the first answer "How is this different than a Camry or any other car?" Every 'normal' car ever gets bad gas mileage in the first miles, you just did not have that info is so much detail as in a Prius. I make two promises:

1) Except for an Electric car, every car will pollute more than your Prius on any route you pick.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...sight-civic-hybrid-jetta-gas-tdi-wrx-sti.html

2) Except for an Electric car, every car sold in the USA will get worse Gas Mileage on your route than the Prius. (there are tiny cars sold elsewhere that do not meet US safety or emissions requirements that get slightly better mileage)

Had we discussed BEFORE you purchased a Prius I would have advised waiting for an electric car, 40 to 100 mile range pretty much dwarfs 3.1 miles each way. Now you already have a Prius, so be happy you have the best possible gas engined solution.

(I used to live in Western Washington: Between July the 5th and the first day of school, in what might loosely be called 'summer' your gas mileage will rise, as the temperature will rise above 55 F, and the precipitation will be reduced.

Western Washington perpetual weather forecast
    It will rain from the thursday before the first high school football game until Dec 27, missing a white Christmas
    Dec 27 it will snow (once a decade this will last a week as the wind is from the east, but if the wind is from the west)
    Dec 28 it will rain until the fifth of July, ruining the fireworks
    From July 5 to the thursday before the first high school football game, it will be sunny
    Those football jerseys will bean unreadable brown all season)

3. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks JimboPalmer. I should have mentioned (I guess I take this for granted, especially the day after Earth Day) that I am just as interested in reducing my emissionsif not more soas I am in getting great gas mileage. And in a separate thread I mentioned, I had already ruled out the Leaf or similar car. I don't use my car only to commute to/from work and I need the range and flexibility the Prius provides for long road trips, sometimes to very remote places. It's enough of a pain dragging the 100-foot extension cord around to mow my lawn with my electric mower, as much as I love to reduce my emissions by doing so. I don't need a 100-mile tether tied to my car.

4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You may be thinking, if everything Jimbo says is true, (and I can't promise it is) how did the EPA do so well?

The EPA test route is 44 miles long and the car is allowed to warm up before the test.

They cheated.

(by the way, in Google Maps, if you click Terrain, you get topo lines)

5. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Honestly, I think it is a testament to your driving that you are able to manage 42 mpg with that type of commute. Those are some really short trips. Almost to the point that you might consider buying some "gas extender" to prevent the gas from getting old and gummy in your gas tank (only half joking with this).

You may be able to "pulse and glide" up the hills, but it won't be efficient (my guess). You can try your initial acceleration to get up to speed and well over the speed limit at the foot of the hill, and then let the momentum slowly bleed off as you go up the hill. This may or may not be possible. The analogy is that from the perspective of a bicyclist, you want to pedal harder before the hill, so you can keep some of the momentum going up the hill.

quick editorial - if you have a place to plug in, you would be an ideal candidate for a plug in hybrid.

I think you should consider grill blocking. It will help the engine warm up even faster and get you to stage 4 more quickly (less cool air blowing over the engine block cooling it off). Your commutes are so short, that your engine barely has enough time to warm up (much less....overheat....ever).

The Electric block heater would help, but the energy to warm up the engine has to come from somewhere (although, likely less polluting than the processing and burning of gasoline).

The only other way to help out is to try to figure out "alternate routes" that might bypass the hills. I realize that this may not be convenient or even possible.

Still, in the end, you are getting nearly 133% better gas mileage than the Jetta, and you'll likely fill up about

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your mileage is expected (or better than expected) for that type of commute.

People who get 60 mpg + are people who drive more than 30 miles a day (never above 65 mph), generally with few stop signs or stop lights, have their tires pumped up above 44 psi (the recommended top limit according to the tire sidewall) and don't use the heat or A/C extensively. The real key requirement is the first one - longer trips.

As I've said before, MPG isn't as important as GPM (gallons per month).

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bluntly here is the real situation. With your two short commutes there is no way for you to get upwards of 50+ mpg in a Prius. 70 mpg is out of the question.

But as Jimbo noted you are far far far far ahead of any other vehicle on the roads today no matter how efficient it is. Until you can get a PHV or BEV to eliminate all liquid fuel usage on your commutes you're 'stuck' :D with only getting low 40's instead of low 20's like most others are getting.

OTOH with such short commutes you aren't using anywhere near the absolute volume of fuel as others who are getting 50+ mpg.

8. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Draheim,
    I grew up living at 8034 NE 13th street so I know your hills. I drive a 2010 in Vancouver Wa so our ambient temperatures are similar.

Yes, with care you should expect to do better that 42mpg. Do grill blocking. That is the biggest item.

I have a steep hill in Vancouver comming home also. What I loose going up I gain back comming down.

I would not worry so much about Pulse and glide going up. But do be careful about conserving when going down. Figure out how to minamize the use of the brakes as much as posible, and try to time the lights.

Enjoy,
    Dan

9. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks. Can someone please direct me to the best single post, thread, or website that clearly shows how to correctly block a grill on a 2010 Prius? I tried to find one quickly but couldn't and I guess I'm a little concerned about harming the electronics, voiding the warranty, etc. as well...

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...62556-2010-prius-grill-blocking-strategy.html
    This thread starts with theory from Ken in Japan, by page two you start seeing pictures of completed grill blocking. If I was you I would completely block the lower grill and leave the upper grill open. When you take a long trip, unblock one row of the lower grill. If you go east of the cascades in summer, unblock it all.

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Three of these and some tie-wraps should do it. About $10

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

You will have enough extra tie wraps to block and unblock for years, it is not like it ever gets hot in Seattle, and you are only going 3 miles most days.

11. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sort of true. Last year it was 100+ for several days (thanks for that, all you non-Prius drivers); in fact I think it was the first time ever that the temperature was recorded above 100 in Seattle. Originally from hot, sticky Missouri, it has taken me a long time to completely acclimate to the mild temperatures here. Still, I think I whine less than the average Seattleite when the mercury climbs above 82...

Thanks for the blocking tips, I will check it out.

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was visiting Bellingham last July 5th to 31st (I know it is not summer before the fourth) to help my daughter move, so I was there! I will be in Western Washington again this May 5th to 19th. I am plotting with Rae Vynn to have a Prius get-together.

PriusChat Forums - View Profile: Rae Vynn

13. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Draheim,
    I block a little more agressivly. I have a ScanGage to be able to see the ICE temp.

Is your care parked in a garage at night or is it on the street? I am in a garage so I start trips with the ICE close to 60degF.

Thanks,
    Dan

14. richard13

richard13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As someone who has lived in Western Washington for 14 of the last 15 years I find this weather forecast amusing and, for some years, accurate. :)

But, violating a rule that I was told to follow when I first arrived (supposedly to keep more Californians from moving here), I will divulge that we don't always have lousy weather . In fact, there have been several nice years where we actually had a moderately warm summer and it didn't rain on the 4th of July. :usa2:

That said, I'd really like it if we don't get a repeat performance of the 100+ degree days we got last year. In the land of "no a/c in our houses", that was brutal. :(

15. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I also keep the car in the garage so 5 out of 10 cold starts are around 55-60 degrees. Come to think of it, by 5 p.m. when I get my car from the bus stop the temp is typically in the 50s/60s so those cold starts are in the same range too.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it will be interesting to see your mileage when you take one of these trips.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have a 14 mile round trip commute. not very hilly, 10 miles at 30-40 mph, 4 miles at 55. with a/c or heat, it's low 50's and without, it's 60-61 mpg. i think any shorter and i mileage would suffer. i accellerate moderately, try to pulse and glide and drive the speed limit. coast up to lites (i only have 2) etc.
    i can only think the difference in mpg for people is distance, terrain, driving habits and weather.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget to read the stickies at CleanMPG.com about Beating the EPA and Prius.
    While I have had a few 70 MPG outings near Seattle, they involved much longer distances than your commute, outside peak hours on routes with fewer traffic lights or better than normal luck on timing, and the most recent was in September. Weather hasn't been sufficiently warm since then.

My normal commute starts with a two mile downhill coast, dropping 450 feet, and needs a few more miles on the flats beyond to fully warm. That is longer than your entire one way trip. At 36 miles per day, the warming weather is now pushing more than half my round trips above 60 mpg. No 70 mpg commutes yet, though I was not employed during last year's best driving weather.
    My digital topo (Garmin) shows a 164 feet change in a hair over 1 mile, for 3%.
    That one is steeper, 11-12% in the two blocks from Fremont to Dayton. 170 foot total climb to Greenwood, drop it all by 8th NW, then climb it again along 15th. My route has more total climb, but much less average slope.
    I personally don't do any P&G uphill. This is a legacy from an older manual transmission AWD car, with so much drag that glides are impractically short unless coordinated with shallow rolling hills, gliding on the downhill pieces. In the Prius I will do P&G on flat roads, especially where it can be somewhat coordinated with stop-and-go traffic. Just get used to having more impatient people cutting into that wider than normal gap between your front bumper and the brake lights ahead.
    EPA City refers to a specific test profile, though the window sticker number is discounted from the actual test result. The CleanMPG sticky mentioned above shows the time and speed profile, and has some other figures about it: 11 miles, 31 minutes, 23 stops, lab temperature 68 to 86F, etc.

The EPA ratings have been revised downward -- 'made more realistic' -- several times during my driving life. But they just cannot keep up with increasing congestion, increasing numbers of traffic lights, and a driving public that continually readjusts its habits to make use of their bigger engines, heavier lead feet, and greater impatience.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently we even had a summer that was sunny and dry on Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day. Absent serious AGW, that is expected about once per generation?
    I picked the right year to get one of those very efficient ductless mini-split heat pumps, which were being offered with double-dip incentives. (Don't know if the regional incentive has been used up, but the federal incentive is good through December.) The AC was on for 3 and a half days, and it was wonderful.

The heating bill plunged this winter, though I don't know how much credit belongs to this efficient heating plant, and how much to the abnormally warm winter. It wasn't from a reduced thermostat setting -- after decades of a cool house, my aging metabolism is requiring the thermostat to be turned up a bit more each year.