1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Realistic MPG for urban center driving?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by SouthEndPrius, Jun 8, 2006.

1. SouthEndPrius

SouthEndPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is my first post to Priuschat... hope that someone sees it!

I bought a 2006 Prius in April of this year. It is a wonderful car! After living with it for about 1200 miles, I have to say that I really couldn't be happier. It still makes me smile when the motor turns off at a red light and I know I'm not wasting gas or making pollution :)

I've been using some of the tips from this website (especially gliding, when no arrows illuminate on the screen), and improved my average to about 37mpg. I live in a center city neighborhood (the South End) in Boston and commute to either Cambridge or Jamaica Plain, both dense urban neighborhoods about 4-7 miles away. The commute usually takes me about twenty minutes. I realize that this is not an especially efficient use of the Hybrid Synergy Drive -- my commute is short, mostly stop-and-go, and a lot of time is spent during the inefficient warm-up phase. Unfortunately, my crazy schedule prevents me from taking the bus or the subway (or "T," in Boston-speak).

That said, I'm wondering if there are other Prius drivers on Priuschat who commute WITHIN a major urban center and what your fuel economy has been like. I know that I'm still learning how to drive most efficiently in the Prius, but I would love to break 40 MPG, and I wonder if other city folk have been able to do it.

Let me know! Thanks,
    Mike

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm.. I rarely go to the downtown core but in mostly suburban driving, and other city driving, my summer range is 50-54mpg and winter range is 47-50mpg. My area has some large hills but I don't always go up/down them.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SouthEndPrius @ Jun 8 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]268360[/snapback]</div>
    That is your problem. Short trips are mileage killers. The engine never gets a chance to warm up to proper the operating temperature.

4. berylrb

berylrb Member

Welcome to the board SouthEnd!

I feel your pain comrade ... Life in the city! I think what you and I think of as city as quite different than a lot of Pruischatters, LOL

b

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SouthEndPrius @ Jun 9 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]268360[/snapback]</div>
    As you mentioned, the warm-up fuel and the short trip kill your mileage on any vehicle.
    Please refer to your consumption screen when you finish the 20 min drive.
    It is something like...
    1st 5 min: 25 mpg
    2nd 5 min: 35 mpg
    3rd 5min: 45 mpg
    4th 5min: 45 mpg
    Then, the average is (25+35+45+45)/4=37.5 mpg.

Ken@Japan

6. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good Luck!

I've seen the traffic in Boston and thankfully don't have to drive in it. here in Trenton I am very lucky that our traffic is light most of the time. I often have a 10 minute drive. The mileage the first 5 is often horrible. Then depending on lights, gravity, etc I can get 60 mpg on the second five minutes at 25 to 35 mph. This includes going UP some hills!
    Do what you can to pulse and glide- it won't be easy in the bumper to bumper situation!

7. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Another suggestion is to find an alternate route.

I often drive several miles out of the way because the route can maximize my MPG...so in the long run, I am driving more miles, but making up for it in MPG.

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? Are you actually managing to use less fuel with the longer route? If you are, then it must be because the route is friendlier (less stop/start etc).

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's an easy solution to your problem. As others have pointed out, the problem is the short length of your drive and the poor mileage while the engine reaches full operating temperature. To improve your mileage, just keep driving around in circles for a while once you reach your destination. You'll get higher mileage and this will raise your average mpg. :lol:

10. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No easy solution, city driving is hard for mileage. If it makes you feel better, the same conditions kill mileage in a regular car too. In the summer my Saturn SC2 went was 30MPG suburbs and 17MPG city.

11. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Forgot to mention that there IS a break-in period. I saw my mileage improving after 3500 miles... so keep the faith!

12. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SouthEndPrius @ Jun 8 2006, 10:09 PM) [snapback]268360[/snapback]</div>

Mike,

Your problem if you choose to see it as such is very simple. You are driving too few miles to garner Prius efficiency. If you bought the car in late April you are driving less than 600 miles a month. If you got it in early April, you are driving about 400 miles a month. There are several posts in this tread that explain the problem. I however don't see any solutions.

13. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

I experience these variations quite frequently. If my car doesn't get thoroughly warmed up, I'm in the low 40's mpg. When the car gets warmed up, but I don't go that far with it warmed up, I'll get 45-47 mpg. When I go on a longer trip, I get over 50 mpg. It just takes a while to get the car warm enough to really get into the best gas mileage area.

I'm just starting a job next week (6/19) where the commute is about 35 miles each way, about an hours driving. I expect to consistantly get more than 50 mpg for this commute.

-Roger