1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

realistic non geeky solutions for california smog chk

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pri2004, Apr 6, 2017.

1. pri2004

pri2004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey my 2004 prius catalytic is fried, and i have to smog the car in a few months. 245k miles.
    car is not worth the price of a new legit cat converter.
    don't want to do some silly home brew thing; the only option i can think of is to sell it to someone out of state.
    There they can legally get an after market converter and make it clean and legal .

sound reasonable? is this what others are doing?

#1 pri2004, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. gta_

gta_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen plenty of people sell cars that need work, usually noted on the sale ads with the words "as-is" or "mechanics special" and will note in the ad that car won't pass smog. That or drive it until registration is due, then register it non-operational (non-op) for the lower amount, and sell it noting it's on non-op. You'll still make some money from it, and people will know what they are getting/know that work needs to be done.

Selling it out of state, might get you the most money out of it though, since there are some states that don't have smog checks, and the rest they can put whatever cat they want on it.