1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reality Check... are some Prius owners acting more like cult members?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by billyboy, Oct 4, 2006.

1. billyboy

billyboy Guest

To simply say some of the posts I've read in this forum are approaching looney is a understatement. What is wrong with some of you people?

Hint: The Pirus is a car. Try to remeber that. Its a mechanical machine. Ok, a pretty neat one, but still its just a car. Normal people don't give their cars pet names. They don't wave at other drivers on the road because they happen to see somebody driving the same kind of car they're driving.

I swear, somebody soon is going to post they keep their car in a garage but since winter is coming they bought a over-sized electric blanket to put over the car so it don't get cold. I bet already some posters just before going to bed pat their Prius on the hood and say good night, see you in the morning.

Geez, I bought a Prius because I thoght it was the intelligent thing to do at several levels. Yet I keep reading what can best be described as kook posts in this forum.

Consider these comment only semi-serious, but at times it is getting pretty silly :lol:

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyboy @ Oct 4 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]327859[/snapback]</div>
    I know lots of people who name their cars...but come to think of it, who says my friends are 'normal people'? ;)

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My Echo was the Huevo (because my wife thought it looked like an egg)
    Before that, my blue Geo Metro was the Smurfmobile
    Before that my Datsun was Craig (long story)
    Before that, my white Corolla was Falcor, the Luck Dragon

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Freedom of Choice is a great priviledge in the USA. No one FORCES someone to become a PriusChat member or read any post. I have named my cars since #1 (a well-used 1931 Model A Ford) "Gallopin' Gertrude." My '04 Prius is "Ernestine" after Lili Tomlin's telephone operator character on LaughIn, inspired by the NAV system's sometimes innane responses to verbal requests.

Interesting how brand new PC posters post criticism of those who have been here a long time. *SIGH*

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyboy @ Oct 4 2006, 11:18 AM) [snapback]327859[/snapback]</div>
    While the cult is clearly going main stream, there clearly are some cult-like features of Prius ownership:
    1)We're not universally accepted as being 'normal'
    2)Lots of people don't believe in our "God"--iow, they don't believe in or understand hybrid technology
    3)There didn't used to be very many of us and we spent a lot of time breaking new ground, spreading the 'gospel', etc....that's how we made our little cult so main-stream.

I think lots of people name their cars. I don't, never have and don't expect to. My Prius is "The Prius". I teach my children to give proper alms to the Prius, to say "Prius" with reverence, and to witness to the non-believers the mpg spreadsheet of Prius. But I didn't name it.

I do keep my Prius warm in the garage in the winter. I have an Engine block heater that keeps it nice and toasty...it gives it more energy in the morning and it shows it's appreciation by rewarding me with higher mpg. If I had a nice efficent electric blanket I would put it over the HV battery pack as I know that's a part the Prius would really love to have stay a little warmer on those cold winter nights...and it's so hard to warm that spot up in my short 30 minute drive to work.

And, since when have you become prejudice against kooks. Most prejudice arises from ignorance and fear. Perhaps you need to spend at least 2 - 3 hours a day here on PriusChat so you can better understand kooks. We don't try to convert anyone into kookiness, but some find that they've had an inner kook in themselves for years and only supressed it. Once they've seen the light of Prius they feel more open to come out of the hatch-area and express their kookiness without shame or fear or rejection.

Am I getting too close to home? B)

6. SaintStephen

SaintStephen New Member

While I have yet to wave to another Prius driver as we cruise through the traffic in the HOV lanes, I wave at almost every motorcycle rider that I come across when I'm riding. I don't consider motorcycle riding as being cult like, we just seem to like to wave at one another.
    ss

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyboy @ Oct 4 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]327859[/snapback]</div>
    Did you know that people riding motorcycles often wave at each other? It's been 5 years since I've owned a motorcycle, but when I was out riding, I'd get waves from everyone from guys on rice rockets to Hells Angels looking dudes on Harleys. I had a Honda Nighthawk 750, which is more of a classic styled bike, not a sports bike or a cruiser.

Personally, I found it rather annoying, but I got in the habbit of waving back to not seem rude.

8. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 4 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]327886[/snapback]</div>
    When cults become mainstream, then they become religions. Hmm...are we a religion yet?

9. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyboy @ Oct 4 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]327859[/snapback]</div>
    What is wrong with us? Absolutely nothing other than getting total enjoyment out of our Prii and having fun with them at the same time!

Hint: I remember that my Prius is a car everytime I put gas in it, pay my car payment and my car insurance.

I have a great suggestion... why don't you refrain from reading what you consider as kook posts and perhaps try to not take yourself so darn seriously!

10. billyboy

billyboy Guest

Interesting how brand new PC posters post criticism of those who have been here a long time. *SIGH*
    [/quote]

Well Charles what I find most interesting and entertaining since I also run a forum (highly technical one on professional video/audio) I see plenty of kook posts. What I find amusing and actually damn funny is you to go out of your way to be critical of those using bold or or text styles you don't like while you yourself have a annoying multi color signature file made part of every post you make thus you can't avoid coming off as a pompous (fill in the blank) _______. :(

Hint: My experience is those that need to announce they won't read a post or just have to annouce they are plonking somebody or other childish things, are well, full of themselves and that has nothing to do with how long I've posted here, but how long I've been posting to newsgroups, message boards and forums, which is over twenty years.

So as far as being "new", true I'm new to this forum, but not new to posters like you. Get a life pal.

11. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyboy @ Oct 4 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]327859[/snapback]</div>
    I'm guessing you're not a 'Car Guy'. Americans have always loved and anthropomorphized cars.

As far as obsessions and emotions go, try getting in between a Mustang Guy and a Camaro Guy (which probably dates me).

"Secret Waves" are standard for new car models that aren't 'mainstream'. VW Beetles and Austin Minis come to mind as cars that started out with what you would call 'cult' followings. Perhaps you might consider 'enthusiasts' as a less perjorative appellation.

Oh, and I'd recommend not pointing out to Harley Riders that the wave is not Normal. If you want to try that I would suggest you start with a safer troll, like going after the "Goldwing Wave" :)

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

All your base are belong to us. Most of us here are seriously screwed up in some respect. The majority of us don't have a job. Those that do, do not do it very well. Right now, about 30 or so of of us are analyzing every aspect of your post like we do our Prii. There are a couple of us who have probably tracked you down via your IP address / google and are on thier way over to set you straight. And don't talk about my love for my lady that way. mother is not holding competely respect with your post!

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's wrong with me...?
    How much time do you have?

I think pursuing normalcy -- i.e., conformity -- can be very, very dangerous, and allows one to be manipulated with surprising ease.

14. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

Yes, it's just a car, but people often attach emotional significance to inanimate objects (or animals) because it provides them a certain level of comfort, safety, and familiarity. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it, and I surmise that it's not directly affecting you, so why sweat it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 4 2006, 09:31 AM) [snapback]327880[/snapback]</div>
    I've learned through the years that the amount of time someone has spent on a discussion board has very little to do with whether they have anything to say. That's not to say that I agree with the OP (as my comment above would indicate), just that low post count doesn't automatically mean somebody doesn't have something valuable to contribute. Just as high post count doesn't necessarily = worthwhile input. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 4 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]327894[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a long time motorcyclist (for the last 20+ years. In fact, I just went on the California Riders of Vision Fall Run on Sept 24th) and it's true that it's customary for motorcyclists to wave, but usually only under certain circumstances:

1. Harley riders almost never wave at anyone except other Harley riders. I don't know why your experience is otherwise, but most other riders have found it to be the opposite of what you say (and I've even experimented, waving at everybody only to have most Harley riders blow me off). I think it must be some kind of "Harley attitude" thing...whatever.
    2. Only wave when you're outside of a metro area, or commuting area. You don't usually wave while just commuting to work or driving on the freeway, but rather when riding in rural areas or mountainous areas where seeing another motorcycle is less common.
    3. I don't find it annoying at all. It's a ritual that indicates that you share the enthusiasm of riding a motorcycle and acknowledge another rider's love of the same.

btw, I recently sold my 91 Nighthawk 750...great UJM. B)

Vince

15. billyboy

billyboy Guest

[And, since when have you become prejudice against kooks. Most prejudice arises from ignorance and fear. Perhaps you need to spend at least 2 - 3 hours a day here on PriusChat so you can better understand kooks. We don't try to convert anyone into kookiness, but some find that they've had an inner kook in themselves for years and only supressed it. Once they've seen the light of Prius they feel more open to come out of the hatch-area and express their kookiness without shame or fear or rejection.

Am I getting too close to home? B)
    [/quote]

A claimed medical doctor stating its ok to be a kook. Priceless!

Hint: Normal people don't need 2-3 hours a day reading some of the off the wall posts (like yours) to judge if or not the authors of same have it together or not. I ordered a Prius for a simple reason. To get from point A to point B and help do my part to reduce dependance on foreign oil and help the environment
    I won't name my Pirus, pet it, sweet talk to it, check if its ok before going to bed or try to make it a surrogate sex object due to what others express due to what seems like totally empty lives some obviously must have judging by the time they devote to posting compeltely mindless self-indulgent crap.

I thought the purpose of this forum was to be informative, not a lovefest for 40 something juveniles that think a car is a toy to play with.

16. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 4 2006, 01:08 PM) [snapback]327912[/snapback]</div>
    Yet you won't park in the handicapped spot! :lol:

17. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: Folks.... looks like we have attracted a TROLL. Then, there's the Ignore feature. Couldn't help but notice his car is "Other Non-Hybrid" - Sept 22 joined - just 39 posts.

18. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 4 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]327927[/snapback]</div>
    HEY CHARLES, WHERE'S THE SUIT????

:lol:

19. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did most of my riding in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. I used to ride a lot on the weekends just to get out of the house. I used to ride through Cherokee and up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Maybe the Harley riders around there are just friendlier than in California.

20. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought the purpose of this forum was to be informative, not a lovefest for 40 something juveniles that think a car is a toy to play with.
    [/quote]

If it troubles you so, maybe you should simply stay in the forums that speak solely of informative topics. As you can see, the site welcomes discussion regarding a diverse realm of topics of which some people simply like to chat or debate. Hence the site name, Prius Chat

By the way, your initial post was not in itself very informative. That's quite interesting. You are now part of the "cult" and you didn't even know it!