1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Really big drop in MPG after two new front tires...from 400 miles a tank to 250.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by sunking247, Sep 27, 2010.

1. sunking247

sunking247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know the new tires = drop in MPG is a regular thread topic, but I'd like some feedback on my experience to see if it's "normal" too.

I have a 2005 Prius, bought with 65000 miles on it, now has 95,000 miles. I drive about 400 miles per week with my commute, which was averaging to about one tank of gas per week. 85% of my driving is on the highway going about 80 mph, while getting about 40 mpg, according to the car's data screen.

While on a trip, I noticed a rythmic thump while driving, and after pulling over to see if something was wrong with my tires, I noticed bulge on the inside sidewall of my front passenger side tires, bulging out about the thickness of a ping pong ball.

I normally keep my tires inflated 42 psi front/40 psi rear. I knew my tires were getting pretty bald, but was putting off getting new tires cause I'm thinking about trading the Prius in this fall.

With the bulge on the sidewall, being 200 miles from home, with my family in the car, I decided to bite the bullet and went to a "Tire Kingdom" off the highway where I got a mid-level tire, same size, not necessarily low rolling resistance, but it was a decent all weather tire. I was avoiding putting alot of money into the tires since I was trading in the car soon anyway.

I've noticed now that since getting the new tires, I get about 250 miles per tank versus 400. I'm driving the same. Have the tires inflated the same way. I'm not due for an oil change yet. I've checked the air filter as well as the in-cabin air filter, both still only 2-3 months old. I usually run the AC on the lowest setting, re-circulating the air, set to 65 degrees...but I was doing this before the tires and still getting 400 miles per tank.

The rear tires are still the same ones that came with the car, they both still have decent tread left.

QUESTION: Could the new tires be the culprit? The old ones were pretty bald. I've only been on these new tires for 2 weeks.

I've heard about Priuses having a sudden drop in MPG around 100,000 miles, sometimes due to failing battery. Is this the case? It's still the original battery.

This seems to be too big of a drop in MPG to be just due to new tires. Based on other posts here, people experience only a 4-6 mpg drop. My situation is more like a 10-15 mpg drop.

Help! $20 a week on gas for commuting 400 miles a week was a BIG money saver, now I'm back to filling up twice a week!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think it's the tires, might be a coincidence. search mpg threads. could be a bad 12 volt battery, maybe brakes are rubbing? jack up the car and make sure the wheels they worked on spin freely. i put 2 new tires on my daughters 04 and she still got 55mpg, no drop at all. not sure ir 80 mph would make it more severe?

3. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any other work get done? Did you have an alignment check?
    I would assume the back are the same orginal. Put them on the front and try it again.
    10mpg is a drop. Could also be the gas. Invest in a $1 fuel additive. Have the mass air flow sensor cleaned (use the correct cleaner).
    If I ever replace 2 tires the old ones go on the front. More wear on the front.
    not likely the tires. I just changed mine out and no difference in mpg.

4. dokeefenm

dokeefenm New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got an 04 a couple of weeks ago and got 48mpg driving it home about 150 miles. I put new tires on front and a new aftermarket airfilter and the mpg dropped to about 44. I increased the air pressure up to 40/38. One other variable, I'm at 6,000 ft vs 3,500 where I bought it and drove home from on that first trip. What's going on? I assume altitude wouldn't have a 10% affect on mpg.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Replacing the tires with new LRR tires gives you a minor hit in fuel economy. Replacing them with generic crap, and you become extremely inefficient.

I would say it is definately the tires. Could be made worse by bad alignment and low tire pressure, but the bulk would be in the tires.

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. What brand/type are the new tires.

2. Try measuring the MPG a bit more accurately over a few runs.

The MPG drop you've stated does seem a bit large to be caused just by the tires. But the tires could still cause a significant drop.

7. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    dokeefenm - new tires will drop the mileage - untill they break-in (4 mpg is about right). Was the second tank city stop and go miles or a lot of hills? As far as mileage goes, hills are your enemy - they suck-up the gas like nothing else.
    Two tanks do not sufficiently test your car and a 4 mpg swing is not a significant change.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably the tires. Try inflating them up to the maximum pressure stated on their sidewalls and see what difference it makes.

As a safety matter, two new tires should always be installed at the rear, not the front.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My old nonhybrids would regularly do roughly 5% better after climbing that much altitude, not counting the extra fuel required to climb the hill first. The benefit is both from reduced drag in the thinner air, and reduced engine pumping loss. Prius should still get the benefit of the former, but its Atkinson cycle engine should mostly discount the later.

But there are so many other variables that it will be difficult to isolate them without controlled experiments. Get used to significant day-to-day and tank-to-tank variations.

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I reported this about April time when I changed my front tyres (uk spelling) to non eco tyres. My mpg's fell considerably. The garage tried telling me to let them bed in and see if that helped. After 1500 miles it didn't.

To cut a long story short, Bridgestone Ecopia tyres (their low rolling resistance brand) were fitted and straight away my mpg's went back to what they were previously! And these tyres are still on the car and still have good life left in them.

Link to my old thread from April ;
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-fuel-economy/78650-these-bridgestones-same.html

11. dokeefenm

dokeefenm New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

I've never heard that 2 new tires should be on the back for safety...why's that? It's front wheel drive and more weight up front from the engine.

12. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The idea is you want understeer instead of oversteer in an emergency handling situation since most people tend to over correct the wheel. So lesser tread up front. Probably not a big deal, but it makes sense at the edge of the traction envelope.

1 person likes this.
  13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You want more grip on the tyres that you have more control over!

Ask any racing or rally driver.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is an article on tirerack.com explaining it.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Understeer is Nature's way of telling you to slow down. Oversteer is Nature's way of telling you're gonna die :_> So put the better tires at the rear.

16. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I use to manage a tire store years ago, and 99% of the people that would buy just two tires had them mounted on the front. I tried to tell them to put 'em on the back, but they never did.

The reason why?...if you have a blow out at 80 mph, you want to have that blow out on your steering axle tires. That way you can maintain control. If you have a blow out on the rear at 80 mph, chances are you will loose control of your vehicle.

Every tire manufacturer will recommend to put the new tires on the rear.

Also: (copy/paste from tirerack.com)
    "When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front. The reason is because new tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning"

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In panic braking on slippery roads, the tires with the best grip automatically try to become the rear tires. Even if this could happen cleanly -- it can't -- few drivers are capable of handling the transition well.

18. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    huh?

I have 5 prii. 2 have replaced with the orginal tire manuf as what was on the car. No diff in mpg. As GrumpyCabbie said the type of tire can make a difference. I did upgrade one set/car and saw an increase 5mpg right away.

As far as a blow out at 80mph. Ummm front/back 80mph that would leave you flying all over the place. You would loose control either case unless you are a waaay experienced race car driver. 2 accidents I've seen blowout on the front dug the wheel into the pavement flipped the car. In this case if the old tires had a bulge in them and you were driving them not replacing right away, I would look at replacing the other 2. I;m also someone that doesn't drive 100mi further on the blinking gas light.

19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On the subject or tyres the old cliche applies - they're your only contact with the road!

I personally take good care of mine and check them very regularly and fit branded tyres. It's just not worth trying to save a few quid/bucks getting cheap ones as you don't want to end up sitting in your car upside down in a field wishing you'd not cut costs.

Tyres last for a long time and are an important safety feature of the car - don't skimp on them.

20. jpgoody123

jpgoody123 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A