1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Really MSRP?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by MickeyM, Jan 24, 2006.

1. MickeyM

MickeyM New Member

I've been reading the PriusChat forums for some time and I'm curious about something. I see a lot of postings by people who say they bought their Prius for MSRP, or MSRP - $1000, etc. Few mention trade-ins or other fees. Is everyone buying these cars straight-out (no trade) and without any large fees like "documentation fees"? Because if there is a trade-in involved in the sale the dealer can claim to be selling for MSRP or whatever the buyer wants, and just make up for it on the trade-in and other fees. Only a straight-out deal really exposes what the dealer is charging for a car, unless you have VERY good data on what other dealers are paying for your trade.

I read a book about car negotiation once, and a salesperson often tries to determine up front whether a buyer is more focused on how much they're paying for the new car, or how much they're getting for their trade. Then the dealer just works the numbers to make that number look good at the expense of the other. It seems like unless you're buying straight-out, it's just a shell game.

2. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had two dealers give me quotes for my trade-in just to see if it was close to edmonds.com (both wanted $1000 under edmunds and at MSRP for prius). I asked the third dealer for the edmunds private seller amount and MSRP Prius and got it. This is the same dealer I serviced my car at with my previous toyota. Yes I like Toyota.

Also this one sleazy dealer wanted to talk payments with me. Never do that unless you want to pretend to go along so you can see how big a crook you're talking to.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I too traded my 04 Prius for my 05 and the dealer allowed me the NADA trade value.

4. fproudfoot

fproudfoot New Member

THANKS! I JUST LEARNED A LOT FROM A PRIUS PKG #8 WINDOW STICKER. ADDED TO THE $29,250. MSRP ARE THE DISTRIB. AND PORT INSTALLED "OPTIONS" THAT ADD UP TO $1,647 MORE FOR A TOTAL OF $30,897.00. THE DEALER CLAIMS HE IS NOT ABLE EXCLUDE OR TAKE OFF MANY OF THESE PORT ADD ONS BECAUSE THEY ARE SPRAYED ON. I MAY NOT BE BUYING ANY TOYOTA PRODUCT AGAIN IF THIS HOW THEY JERK US AROUND.

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You just have to search around for an honest dealer who will sell the car at MSRP with no mandatory dealer add-ons. You can do a search on the boards for dealers that other PCers have recommended working with.

I'm not trading in my vehicle (I wouldn't get more than $500 for the trade-in I'd bet, but I know I could sell it private party for ~$1500; it's a good car, just an older model) nor am I financing through Toyota and I was able to find a dealer who sells the Prius with no dealer markups at straight out MSRP.

There are licensing and documentation fees, not to mention sales tax, but those are standard on any vehicle a person would purchase new. The cost of the car itself however, is at MSRP.

6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This specific to Gulf States District and SE Toyota District. The MSRP is $29350. that's all that we sell them for in Central Atl Toyota district.

To be brutally honest.. it's a question of supply and demand. In GST and SET the supply is well below the demand. In CAT the two are more in balance. Here it has been MSRP since 2001..

Come east and get the one you want. It'll be broken in by the time you get home.LOL

7. Hallowday

Hallowday New Member

The MSRP on my 2006 was $21,725 + $3205 (Pkg #5) + $65 (Rear Bumper Applique) + $264 (Floor Mats, Cargo Mat, Cargo Net, First Aid Kit) + $580 (Delivery Processing and Handling Fee). Then the dealer took $1000 off the total of the above items. I did not trade anything in.

8. HybridMotion

HybridMotion New Member

Sounds like the best Prius deal I've heard of for an '06. I've heard of some dealers giving $1000 off for an '05 after the '06's arrived.

9. MickeyM

MickeyM New Member

Did the dealer charge any other fees besides taxes and other government-mandated fees? Down here in Orlando all the Toyota dealers try to add a $599 "Documentation fee". In fact the amount is typeset right on the deal sheet to try to make people think it's mandatory, non-negotiable fee. If you do get them to remove it, they do so by adjusting either the price of the car or the trade.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

MSRP $31,250
    Price Paid $25,500
    No Trade, sold privately $29,000
    Then taxes and unfortunatly as I bought it out of province and inspection fee of $120 but got back $728 on the sales tax.

11. HybridMotion

HybridMotion New Member

I realize there's a Canadian dollar issue here. I haven't a clue as to the Canadian MSRP price, but there's no way to knock $6000 off the price.

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

$31,250 is the Canadian MSRP and $25,500 is what I paid. This was 23 months ago now and I flew out to the middle of Canada and drove it home (1833Kms) as it was cheaper than transporting it out here. 3 emails 3 phone calls to finalise the deal. Last of the new 2003's in Canada and Toyota provided 500$ to sweeten the deal. They wanted it out of inventory.

13. Hallowday

Hallowday New Member

There was a Documentary Fee of $79.50 (also typed set) and a Tire Tax of $1.25. Those were the only other two charges besides what I previously listed.

14. MickeyM

MickeyM New Member

You got a very good deal indeed. Congratulations!

15. Hallowday

Hallowday New Member

I had not discussed price with the dealer but went in expecting to pay sticker price. When they presented the offer I was surprised and immediately said "Sounds good". A good negotiator would have made at least one counter offer to get a little more off.

I thought the Documentary Fee was a required fee but it sounds like it is just another gimmick to tack some more $ onto the price.