1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Really need technician opinions! Catalytic Converter / Hybrid Battery problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tarams, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So our catalytic converter was stolen. I see it's becoming more and more common here lately (protect your converters people!) Prior to this, our Prius was running perfectly.
    Got in car, started it, it was loud (obviously, cat gone) but fine otherwise. Did not drive it.
    Second time I tried to start it to relay the mileage to insurance adjuster and it wouldn't start. All the dummy lights came on - VSC, Engine, ABS, the big red triangle, etc.
    Because taking the car to Toyota to replace the converter would have considered the car a total loss, our insurance co made us take it to Meineke instead.
    It was towed there, Meineke replaced the converter. Car ran fine for a few miles home and then a few miles another day but then all the lights came back on and car lost power.
    It was towed to Toyota this time and Toyota is saying its the hybrid battery and not related to the converter being stolen.

On another thread here someone had a similar issue where car started fine first time, converter problem, second start all lights came on. Their mechanic said Toyota needed to fix/clear out codes (solenoid) before converter could be replaced and it seems that worked for them. That's not what happened with us however, Meineke didn't read any codes and just replaced the converter.

I also read that hybrid batteries don't just fail or die. Biggest warning sign is loss of gas mileage prior but we never had that, consistently got 45-48mpgs til this all started. So I am inclined for these several reasons to believe this is somehow related.

Is there anyone on these forums that can comment, with knowledge, what may be going on here?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the current mileage on this 05?

How many hours per week are you driving, and how many hours or miles in the last 6 month?

When was the last time you were able to use the vehicle before noticing the catalytic theft?

Raytheeagle and Tarams like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it!

if toyota charged you, ask for the codes and post them here. if not, you're going to need them.

Tarams and SFO like this.
  4. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It was driven (perfectly fine) first week of July (July 7th was the last trip). We saw 2 guys on our driveway July 9th, called police, were afraid they were breaking into the house, didn't realize they were stealing parts off our car! We were away and so the next time we went to drive it was July 26th. After hearing the noise, put 2 and 2 together and realized that's what the 2 guys on our driveway in the middle of the night was about. So 19 days is how long it hadn't been used.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    worth checking the 12v health

Tarams likes this.
  6. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mileage is 164k

7. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Says code is "P0A80"

SFO likes this.
  8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has to HV battery ever been changed or serviced before?

A 15 yr old HV battery, with 164k, that then sits for 19 days, not the best candidate for the 300k club.

P0A80 is the DTC for a failing HV battery.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's the hybrid battery. very possible at 12 years. sub codes would identify the bad modules, if you wanted to repair it.
    a new one is around @$2,000.

coincidence? hard to say. not sure what they could have done to damage it. there might be a warning about disconnecting the battery before welding, i'm not sure.

Tarams likes this.
  10. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The car has been amazing (I love my Priuses). Usually used a couple times a week, never showed any mpg loss, no warning lights, nothing til this converter issue. And it's hard to believe it the battery went bad (all of a sudden with no warning?) that the lights didn't go on the first time we started it after those 19 days. It started fine, no lights.

11. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We just put $1700 into it for the converter, I wont do another $2k for a hybrid battery :( UGH!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't blame you. have you spoken with the insurance co?

13. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yep and because Toyota is saying it's separate / not related to the converter theft they wont cover it. So upset over all of this.

14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prii like to be used on the regular/daily, older HV batteries may not handle being left unused for weeks at a time.

If you haven't logged a DTC for a failed module pair, you might try using/driving it around to see if that will cure this P0A80, and you could also try to 'force' charge it as well, though that may be a bit extreme and would only try that after having driven it around some.

If you or someone nearby has the prolong gear (or maxxvolts), you could try to recondition (or even top charge) it, as that may help.

You are relatively close to @TMR-JWAP who will have some viable HV battery options for you as well (y)
    Oh, thought insurance paid for that replacement?

$1700 is a quite expensive for an aftermarket catalytic converter, or did you opt for a new OEM since the vehicle shipped with such?

15. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry, I don't understand most of what you wrote! Other than the $1700 was for new not OEM parts. Toyota wanted $3000-$3500 to replace. "Precious metals" have the prices have the prices through the roof!

bisco likes this.
  16. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Did you pay the $1700 for the cat or was it the insurance? If insurance then its just the battery that's at question. A 2005 Prius with 164k miles is on the brink for a battery.

Most likely it was sitting too long and one module went out of tolerance. The modules are wired in series, each module is individually monitored for voltage and one poor module sets off the code. That's why some people just replace the weak module or two.

"Remanufactured" batteries are just used batteries with a better used module thrown in so that the voltage difference between the lowest and highest module is within range. But that "fix" is rarely good for more than a year, maybe less. Pricing | Hometown Hybrids

Tarams likes this.
  17. Tarams

Tarams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Insurance is paying the $700, we are paying the $1000. Car is at Toyota now and I doubt they would check individual modules but I appreciate your explanation. Thank you

18. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Their scanner gives them individual voltages as can apps like Dr Prius or Car Scanner with a $30 bluetoon obd2 adapter. The dealer won't install used anything. Find a shop like the one I linked in your area.

Pics from Car Scanner app on my hv battery today

Attached Files:

#18 rjparker, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Tarams likes this.