1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Really Worried About Factory Sirius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dahgu, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Dahgu

Dahgu New Member

I have an appointment to drop off the new loaded '08 Touring Prius at the dealership today. They are installing the factory Sirius option, but I'm worried about the antenna placement.

Before they start, I wanted to make sure that they understand me wanting the sat antennae placed RIGHT behind the factory atennae mount on the roof. Hopefully, it's close enough that the PCAccessory store's SharkFin will cover both. In reading other posts, I've seen that the SharkFin will "stick up" a bit given the size of the Sirius pod and I think the wire coming out from under the SharkFin will look tacky.

Should I try and talk them into the micro pod sat antenna with the cable run through a Dremel'd factory atennae base? I'm hesitant to do anything crazy myself and have already payed the hefty dealer price for this.

If anyone has good picture of a similar setup, I'd love to see them!

Thanks a ton!

Dahgu...

2. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dahgu @ Oct 8 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]522671[/snapback]</div>
    Do a search on shark fin or possibly Sirius antenna and you will find a lot of info on installing the antenna under the shark fin. There isn't a lot of room, so don't rely on the dealer to place the antenna in a way that allows it to be covered by the shark fin. Also the physical size of the sat antenna is a factor. Be aware that you will lose some AM performance with the shark fin.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if they place the antenna close to the original antenna you're still going to have that wire sticking.
    If it were me I'd just let them put the antenna in a location that is easy to uninstall. Then when you get your shark-fin just run the wire for a micro antenna yourself so that it goes up through the OEM antenna hole (accessed above the roof liner) so there's no visible wire or antenna.

4. popgadget

popgadget Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have the factory XM in my 2006 and the antenna is on the far right side of the dashboard under the windshield as per the factory instructions. Where is the factory Sirius antenna supposed to be placed?

5. Dahgu

Dahgu New Member

Well, the installation is complete, but I had the installation tech do the simplest antenna install he could. I will re-route the satellite antenna properly after the Shark Fin is delivered and I have a good idea of dimensions.

The tech mentioned that if I put the Sirius antenna under the Shark Fin, my reception will go bye bye. I guess we'll just have to see. :)

One interesting note was that the dealership had forgotten to order the factory kit, which required the tech to use one of his Sirius SC-C1 kits. He explained that the new SC-C1 kit is more reliable, better quality, etc. when compared to factory options. Other features aside, the new SC-C1 was really small and simplified the install for the tech.

As far as the 8-char limit, I am getting 16-chars on the artist and album names from Sirius. It's a nice surprise! I was expecting a truncated 10 and was depressed until I starting counting digits. :D

Attached Files:

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's perfect, when you get your shark fin it should be super easy to route the antenna and it will fit easily under the fin. Glad that worked out so well.