1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear amber turn signal bulbs -- brightness question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by alexpm, Aug 23, 2006.

1. alexpm

alexpm New Member

I have just purchased a new 2006 Prius, Package #6 and find that the rear amber turn signals are comparatively dim, especially during daylight. I would like to know if the bulbs used for those signals can be switched to a brighter bulb without, of course, compromising the electrical system in any way. A service technician at Marin Toyota in San Rafael, CA could only give me the Toyota part number of the standard turn-signal bulbs, but said that they "look like" commercially-available #7443 amber wedge-type bulbs, 21W-12V except they only have one filament. Does anyone have experience or an educated opinion about a turn-signal upgrade? An aftermarket LED substitute would be awesome, but I'm not going to get too obsessed here... Many thanks.

2. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd have to agree with Primo. The turn signal intensity is weak on the prius. I was directly behind one on my bike and I had a hard time seeing it blink. An intensity upgrade would be a good idea.

3. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I also just noticed this yesterday as my wife was pulling out of the driveway. I was barely noticable, especially when the brake light went on. I too would be interested.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    eh, just replace them with yellow high-intensity strobe lights. :D

5. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

6. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Aug 23 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]308484[/snapback]</div>
    Eh? Strobe lights? You're pulling our legs right? Check out VFaq it might be helpful to you.

7. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Aug 23 2006, 06:15 PM) [snapback]308523[/snapback]</div>
    Ha! Mere child's play. Just pop some of these babies into the sockets; that'll solve the problem. Just modify the existing socket and assembly, make a slight change to the hybrid power system so that it puts out ten times as much juice, and you'll be good to go! :lol:

... and yes, I'm pulling your leg! :D

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Aug 23 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]308584[/snapback]</div>
    LOL too funny, I would check the local laws for strobe light usage, just for giggles....

I did mount a dual head amber LED light on the top left rear corner of the rear window as a Hazard light for those times when changing a tire or something as the rear hazard lights are dim... I too would like to know of a replacement bulb..

The light has two light heads combined similer to whats pictured below but in yellow..
    http://www.oznium.com/images/whelen_talon_1.jpg
    http://www.oznium.com/images/whelen_talon_2.jpg

It only faces to the rear and is only used in an emergency..
    Plus it only pulls 0.05 of an amp...! ;)

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm, the topic died.. :huh:

Anyone find out anything on a brighter sollution?

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Take the link for Vfaq. Answers are there.

Nate

11. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 7 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]315763[/snapback]</div>
    http://vfaq.net/mods/Lights.html

Search the site linked (note - they are constantly breaking my links to the bulbs, so just go to http://www.optionsauto.com/ and search for the part #s I have listed, then search for similar bulbs if you want amber) there if you want brighter amber bulbs. I hate amber rear turns, so used red as noted in my VFAQ.

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(talonts @ Sep 8 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]316609[/snapback]</div>
    I still cant find the Super Bright Yellow bulbs. I want to stay with the OEM look, becides all studies show yellow is brighter than red in all road conditions... ;)

13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 8 2006, 07:31 PM) [snapback]316769[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, and yellow is also very obvious for a turn signal. It won't be mistaken for a brake light and vice versa.