1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear brake light replacement & P lock mechanism abnormal problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by msg7086, Sep 29, 2013.

1. msg7086

msg7086 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I just got a 2005 Prius last week as my first car and I'm pretty satisfied with it on the road. After a week driving, I find 2 problems.

First is that the left rear brake light is not working. The turn light, back up light and the stop light works perfectly. After a quick searching, it seems that the only way to fix it is to order the whole light part and get it replaced, which could cost $100+. Are there any cheaper solutions available?

Second is the transmission P lock mechanism abnormal warning. It only appears when I was parking and is on IG-ON mode. My guess is that the 12V battery is discharged. Any ideas about that? Is this really important if I always use parking brake when parking?

I have made a maintenance appointment with the local dealer on Monday. Is there anything that I should take care of or mention with this car during the maintenance?

I'm pretty new with cars, and comments are really welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is possible that there is a loose wiring harness connection. Otherwise, you are correct that the entire taillight assembly needs to be replaced. A cheaper solution might be to obtain a used unit from a salvage yard but you will need to look for a light from a 2004 or 2005 model year vehicle. (Later years do not have the tinted plastic over the brake light LEDs.)

Yes, you need to fully-charge the 12V battery and then see what happens. If the battery is more than four years old consider replacing it before the winter season as a preventive measure (unless you don't object to being stuck at an inopportune time when the battery decides to die on you.)

You didn't mention the odometer reading on the car, but you should perform the nearest major service (30K mile interval service) and also replace the transaxle ATF which is an activity not listed on the maintenance schedule. Good luck with your newly acquired Prius.

3. msg7086

msg7086 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for the useful information.

The car is currently on 137k odo reading, and according to the carfax the previous owner had the transmission fluid replaced at 108k odo.
    It looks like it's the best time for a major service. About the transaxle ATF, should the replacement also be on a 30k mile interval?

Thanks.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good to see that the car received a major service at 108K miles. The transaxle ATF can be changed at 60K mile intervals.

5. msg7086

msg7086 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just FYI,

I got the battery checked by the dealer and they said it's working perfectly.
    On my test it is at 12.3V if headlights off, 11.5V if headlights on.
    Hope its life lasts longer than I expect.

The major service would be at 150k according to their suggestion.

And I decide to order the tail light assembly parts online as it would cost me far over $100 to get it replaced by the dealer or the automotive repair store. ~$80 if fixed by myself.

Thanks for all the replies and the information.