1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear brake piston hard to go in, leaked from bottom line

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by zoeboi954, Apr 4, 2017.

1. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Alrightmy 2010 prius need the rear brake pads to be replaced this isn't my first time doing this. So I do have the correct tools to turn the rear brake caliper in. But for some reason it was really hard going in. I had to use a air wrench with some pushing pressure. It start to go in but I notice some leaking coming from the bottom line connect to the caliper.. is that the brake line or hand brakes? This is the line that was leaking 20170404_135458.jpg .......

And what is this line. it's the one at the top of the brake. it won't let me insert the pic it's the 2nd pic in the attached files

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The first picture shows the parking brake cable, lever and shaft, at back of caliper piston cylinder. If brake fluid is coming out of there when you try turn the piston back in, and it's really fighting, I would suspect there's some blockage, not alowing brake fluid to go back up the line, so it's seeping past the seal on the parking brake shaft?

The second picture (i'll repost) shows the line supplying brake fluid:

upload_2017-4-4_11-42-15.png

How many miles on the car? Maybe try a brake fluid replacement? @NutzAboutBolts has a video on that procedure here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

I'll attach info from the Repair Manual too. The brake bleed sequence is a little verbose in the attachment, it's basically:

Front/Right, Front/Left, Rear/Left, Rear/Right.

Note this varies a bit from the linked video above. Either way works I think.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  3. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    223k milage. I got the car at 110k. I'm pretty sure im due for brake a change. Hell I think I need all my fluids changed.

The other side RR went in easier but it also leaked a little bit. this time I took the ebrake off. I was think maybe that's why I was having a hard time on the otherside but I can't remember if I put on the ebrakes last time I changed the brakes.

Does the ebrake uses the fluid as the main brakes?

But it was leaking from this spot. I wasn’t leaking really bad just a couple of splats came out of it 2017-04-04 16.21.13.jpg

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's just a sheathed cable, not a brake line. Maybe something trickled down?? I would think you should have parking brake (e-brake) released. It for sure makes getting calliper off rotor easier.

5. zoeboi954

zoeboi954 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe it's water because it was rain the day before... but either way I got it. But I really do appreciate your help @Mendel Leisk , ever since I sign up on priuschat ur there helping out on most of my posts and others peoples too. I appreciate your time and effort.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Happy to help.

Be sure whenever reassembling the rear brakes, that you have the caliper piston's pattern oriented like this:

upload_2017-4-5_13-35-19.png

So that the pin on backing plate of inner pad is in between the spokes. After assembly build up pressure (by pushing brake pedal) to get the piston well seated against the pads (locks the pin in between spokes more securely). Reconnect 12 volt battery (safest to disconnect this at the outset). Refrain from applying the parking brake, take the car for a short test drive, and only then apply parking brake.

You might also raise the rear of the car again (front wheels chocked), and with parking brake off (obviously) see that the wheels are spinning semi-freely.

Raytheeagle likes this.