1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Brakes and adjustment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bobwho, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just was advised to have my rear brakes adjusted because they are not actuating properly. The repair person told me that the rear brakes have a manual adjustment.

I told them that "No American made car has had manual adjustable brakes since 1962" and that "Manual adjustments on the brakes was a nutty idea."

I can believe that the brakes are manual adjust because that would result in a lower friction than the self adjusting brakes on most cars.

Now the question comes who else has been told that they need their rear brakes adjusted?

2. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hobbit has a great article on how the self-adjusting brakes work. You're right in that there's no manual adjustment. I suppose your dealer is going to suggest changing the power steering fluid next. :rolleyes:

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I am presuming you have a North American Prius with drum brakes in the rear. If so....
    The rear brakes are auto-adjusting, but you -can- manually adjust them as well. If you do, the auto-adjusters will eventually set them the way it was designed to. The manual adjusters are to get it out of trouble if the auto-adjusters mess up (usually happens due to corrosion or dirt).

If you have rear disk brakes (European car) they are not adjustable. Disk brakes are automatically advanced as they wear, and are automatically pulled back from the rotor by the seals when you release the hydraulic pressure.

4. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If they are out of adjustment, it should be covered under warranty. I have 121,000 on my 05 prius and have never adjusted the brakes, in fact the fronts are still original and from the looks of them will go to at least 250,000 or beyond!

5. donbarcan

donbarcan New Member

I have over 25,000 miles on my '06. The parking brake seemed very low to me. The dealer adjusted the rear brakes to raise the parking brake. I don't know if that is part of the same rear break system. If it is, in my case, manual adjustment was necessar.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Package @ Oct 17 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]527143[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it's part of the rear brake system. The parking brake pulls on the adjuster mechanism to set the rear brakes, but plays no part in adjusting them. The rear brakes (in the U.S.) adjust every time you press on the brakes, as needed. There is no need for manual adjustment, unless repairs are needed.

Tom

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the self-adjust isn't necessarily perfect. sometimes they do require adjustment. ours is checked every time the rear wheels are off- on one occasion one side was in perfect adjustment and the other was totally out of whack.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you live in an area where road salt is liberally sprinkled all winter long, your "self adjusting" rear drum brakes *will* stop working. As Hobbitt mentioned, it's a good idea to take apart the brake, clean, and lube everything.

So far no problems with my Prius.

9. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 17 2007, 08:33 PM) [snapback]527150[/snapback]</div>
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't the automatic adjusters only work when you are in going in reverse and step on the brake.

10. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BuddyL @ Oct 19 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]528027[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, I will. Hobbit's article which is referenced above clearly says that he demonstrates that moving forward
    and braking activates the self adjustment mechanism in the Prius. There are cars which have the self adjustment mechanism as you suggest.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Disc brakes self adjust forward and backward, oh sorry I forgot that in the US you only get discs on the rear of the touring model. (I think)

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 20 2007, 02:05 AM) [snapback]528125[/snapback]</div>
    No rear disk brakes in the U.S. and Canada, even on the Touring model.

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sitting still and activating the regular brakes invokes self-adjust
    too, which is why I'm in that silly position in one of the pix to
    hear the click as the tang jumps a tooth.
    But if your adjuster screws are rusted to a standstill, all bets
    are off.
    _H*

14. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks everyone, this idiot dealer does not give me any faith in what they tell me. I will have to check on everything that they tell me from now on. I will be off to the jack, hydraulic, and have at it when time allows.

15. Bobwho

Bobwho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks everyone, this idiot dealer does not give me any faith in what they tell me. I will have to check on everything that they tell me from now on. I will be off to the jack, hydraulic, and have at it when time allows.

Oh this self same dealer tried selling me 15,000 mile maintenance of coolant change, ATF change, air cleaner change, etc. When they tried it again at 30,000 miles I laughed at them and did the air cleaner change early myself.

16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Don't wait too long. If the dealer tech noticed the rear wheels dragging the brakes you could end up cooking them. Just jack up each rear wheel with the e-brake released (front wheels well chocked on level ground) and see if the wheel turns easily. If so, you can wait until you have time to disassemble to clean and lube the brake components.