1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear bumper applique after-market?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyclone, Jan 14, 2004.

1. cyclone

cyclone New Member

Our Prius didn't come with the rear bumper applique we ordered. Can it be applied aftermarket equivalently to coming from the factory? I see it can be ordered at http://www.partznet.com/toyota/prius/04EXTERIOR.html.

Bill

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In short, yep. If you can apply tape you can apply the applique just as well as the factory - it's a port installed option, by the way, so it's actually not installed until it reaches the US.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, gotta disagree with Danny a bit here. I ordered the applique for self application. Tried it, screwed up, and ended up with no applique and a $45 bunch of sticky plastic in the trash can.

It is not nearly as easy as applying tape, much more like applying window tinting. You're supposed to use some special alcohol cleaner first, then spray on an unspecified amount of soapy water, then put the applique on (No clear guide for where it goes), then use a squeege to squeeze out all the soapy water while making sure the applique doesn't slip and avoiding bubbles.

It CAN be done, you may do it just fine--being prepared ahead of time will probably help, I'd have an extra set of hands around as well. But it's a bit tricky and will look pretty bad if not done correctly.
    --evan
    p.s. I seem to be surviving just fine without it. :wink:

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, I stand corrected then. I don't have any experience putting it on the Prius (obviously) so I'm sorry if I gave inaccurate information.

Evan's a much better source on this subject than I would be.

5. cyclone

cyclone New Member

So would I be able to take it to, say, a window tint place and have them put it in for $25 or so?

6. KathyY

KathyY Member

I applied mine and it looks OK but there are a few small bubbles that I couldn't get rid off. I really should have waited until it was warmer out--I think I was at the bare minimum temperature. I took it slowly and it wasn't really too difficult. I wasn't exactly sure where it went but I saw one of the file pictures of it on one car which helped. Since I already had a very small scratch on the bumper I really wanted it on.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you have a digital camera you can take some pics for us with?

8. ammiels

ammiels New Member

I also ordered and did not get, and the purchasee is 70 mi away. I wonder if thet 2in wide somewhat elastic tape that comes on rolls would serve as well and be disposable when abused.