1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Bumper Applique

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Claudia, May 8, 2005.

1. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Trying to keep costs as close to reasonable as possible. The super white that we have reserved comes with cargo net and bumper applique, which sales manager said they could remove the items (and the charge). I know we can do without the net, but is the bumper applique good for anything but looks? He tried to imply that it was a safety feature. Since I tend to be on the skeptical side (and since I love understatement), is he jerking my chain, or is it worth the $$?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The applique is clear vinyl that is supposed to protect your bumper from scratches when loading the hatchback. May of us have used the Matrix bumper protector as it is more substantial. It is black and might not look god on your white prius.

The cargo net is supposed to hold things in the hatchback to keep them from sliding around. I have not found it very effective.

3. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia\";p=\"87981)</div>
    It's certainly not a safety feature, but I have heard that it does protect the bumper from damage that might result from putting stuff in and out of the trunk. I don't have my car yet, so I can't comment from actual experience, but I'd keep that option on the car, if I could talk the dealer down a few dollars.

4. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia\";p=\"87981)</div>
    If the bumper applique is already in place, leave it and pay for it, it's probably money well spent, but I don't see how it could be considered a "safety feature." Any other "dealer option" things such as floor mats, cargo nets and bins and the like can be had at lower cost at anythingtoyota.com or check directly with the parts department of your Toyota dealership. The sales departments get a mark up when these items are bought with the car.

For example, the "Preferred Options Package" of carpeted floor mats, carpeted cargo area mat, first aid kit and cargo net is $262 MSRP. At anythingtoyota.com, these four items total $189.78 before shipping. The cargo net alone is $49 MSRP with the new purchase but is only $27 plus shipping at anythingtoyota.com.

5. KathyY

KathyY Member

The bumper applique does help to protect the bumper from scratches. I like the cargo net. Things don't fall out when I open the hatch. I use it to put small things when shopping so that I can easily find them when I get home. I also keep an extra umbrella, a "neat sheet" ground cover and anything else that I might want to get at quickly.