1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Bumper Cover Removal

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by beth524, Aug 23, 2010.

1. beth524

beth524 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I very stupidly backed into a poorly parked car that was partially blocking my driveway, putting a very nasty dent in the driver's side corner of the rear bumper cover. I want to try and fix it myself but am unsure how to remove it. Does anyone have experience with this? I have seen threads on removing the bumper covers on Gen II models but not on Gen I. Thanks!!!

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Doing this from memory, I think there are four bolts that hold it on. I'll check when I get home.

Bob Wilson

3. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay, there are 2 clips that have to be removed underneath the car. You will see them as they are very obvious. The trouble is, the clips get old and you'll probably wind up breaking them while trying to pry them out. They are fairly standard plastic clips and can be replaced, though.

Then, you'll need to remove all the carpeted area on the inside of the trunk. There may also be a large plastic panel on the very back side too.. You will find a total (if memory serves) of 10 bolts to remove, 5 on each side, I believe. They don't look like traditional bolts, though.

Just know this.. The bumper comes off very easily, without much effort, once all the bolts are removed. If for some reason it doesn't seem like it wants to come off, you probably forgot something.

4. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are about 3 nuts on the seam where bumper cover enters the trunk on each side. You may have to remove the 12V battery on the drivers side. , the battery may limit access to at least 1 of them. 3 on the other side too.

There are also at least 2long hex nuts in the rear panel of the trunk. remove the black plastic cover first to get to the brass colored long hex nuts. (4 plastic barbs hold on the rear plastic cover). Might be more long hex nuts, don't remember off the top of my head.

As you remove fasteners the bumper cover will become loose. When all fasteners removed it comes off very easily....and like the other person said, there are 2 plastic barbs you remove from under the car that go straight up...you are supposed to pop out the middle part of the barb down, but if dirty/old they may not cooperate.

The "T-bolts" that are built into the bumper often fall out when trying to attach to the car and get the nuts started....a tip is to use duct tape to hold them into the bumper when re-attaching.

One last tip, be careful with your sockets and wrenches. It is very easy to ding the outside metal part of the car when removing the 3 nuts on each side inside the trunk area.

5. davestr

davestr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did this recently on our 2001, after my daughter backed into someone. Remove the two clips on the bottom first. Be careful here as I broke one getting it off, and had to get a new one from the parts store. Remove the trunk liner fabric. Then from memory, there are three nuts to remove from each of the far left and right sides in the trunk area. It is easier on the left side to access the nuts if you remove the aux battery, but I was able to do it with a socket extension. After removing the truck floor, I believe there are four other nuts to remove along the rear truck lip.

I popped out our dent by CAREFULLY applying some heat with a heat gun (hairdryer should work), and massaging the dent out from the back side of the bumper. I had to push and hold the plastic while it cooled for it to retain the shape. They key here is not too much heat or you will melt the plastic, but enough to move the plastic. Do not expect the paint to look perfect. There are some crazing marks on ours where the dent was.