1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Bumper Damage/HOV Stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Harper, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Harper

Harper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All-

I had an accident the other night when I backed into another vehicle. I have rear bumper damage and will have to take the car in for repairs. I have two questions. First, I have those yellow HOV stickers, which, of course there are 3 on the rear bumper. What do I do to get them replaced by DMV as I will most likely will need to replace my bumper? Second, if anyone has had an accident, what is the best course of action in dealing with this? Should I go through my insurance company (Wawanesa)? Or pay out of pocket? I will have to take care of the other vehicles minimal damage, mind you. I have a spotless driving record and have never been in an accident before. I am 38 and live in the Southern California area. Thanks!!

2. ravie

ravie New Member

My wife was rear ended a couple months ago. It cost ~$750 to replace the rear bumper. The DMV will replace the HOV stickers, you just need to fill out the forms like you originally did, mark it as a replacement sticker and include a copy of the body shop recipt, don't forget the check for $8.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Harper @ Jul 26 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]485805[/snapback]</div>
    Harper, sorry to hear of your situation. Can't help with the stickers. This sounds like a "minor" accident. What are the estimates and what is your deductible? I presume the police were not present and a report was not filed. Presuming you have collision coverage if you go through your insurance company they will pay for the damage to the other car and for your damage less your deductible. Since this is your first chargeable loss your insurance rate may or may not rise. It will on the next claim. If the total damages are a few hundred dollars over the deductible you may be better off in the long term paying out of pocket for everything. If you don't have the resources then file a claim. If the other party has already filed an insurance claim then you won't be any worse off having the insurance repair yours.

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 26 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]485817[/snapback]</div>
    Your actual "rate" shouldn't go up, but If you are considered more than 49% at fault you may incur a surcharge on your policy + you will most likely lose your accident free discount.

5. Harper

Harper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 26 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]485817[/snapback]</div>
    The damage to the other parties vehicle is minor, but, some work will have to be done. There was no need to involve the police as it was a minor incident in a parking lot and the other party is someone I know. I/he will get some estimates for the damage on both vehicles and go from there. I hope the fatia (sp?) will only need to be replaced on my car. I plan on calling my insurance company to see what they suggest. My friends car is a lease, so, he's going to help me out and give me the lowest quote he can find. So, we'll see.....

6. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    IMHO California insurance has always been screwed, and anything you do will increase your rates. You might be better off paying out of pocket, if the repairs are affordable, because I'll bet your rates WILL go up the next time you renew.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jul 27 2007, 12:03 AM) [snapback]485995[/snapback]</div>
    It depends on the insurance company. 21st Century does not charge you with an at fault accident unless the damage exceeds $1,000.

8. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 27 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]486356[/snapback]</div>
    I work for an insurance company and I'll just say that there are some shady things that they do, I dont know specifically what they do for collision coverage in California, but I do know that CA is known as having laws that are more pro-insurance company than consumer which makes the state a very profitable one, but it is also one of the most competitive because of increased competition. On the opposite side New Jersey is the most pro-consumer in their laws and regulations making it less lucrative and less competitive.

9. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ravie @ Jul 26 2007, 07:27 PM) [snapback]485812[/snapback]</div>
    No need to have a copy of the body shop receipt. It may certainly help.

I had my stickers replaced, all I needed to provide: the form, $8 check, and proof of BayArea Fast track (I'm in San Jose area, I don't know if you have to have the fastrack proof). I wrote note on the form: Front & Back bumpers were replaced due to an accident. 2 weeks and the new stickers arrived.

10. clell2

clell2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I backed into my neighbors rear bumber with my rear bumper. He had no damage but I had big dent in the plastic rear bumper. With a hair dryer to heat the bumber (not too hot) and reach in and push the dent out. I little touch up with factory touch up paint ($9.08). Looks like new.