1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear bumper damage. How much to replace??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by leeki4321, Apr 23, 2006.

1. leeki4321

leeki4321 New Member

I just had my rear bumper damaged in a small accident :-( There is a slight dent in the bumper and the top part of the bumper is cracked. I have a gray 2006 Prius and was wondering how much it would be to get it replaced. I'm sure if I took it to the dealer, they would rip me off.. should I just buy the bumper and take it to a good body shop? Any help and info would be appreciated and better yet, I live in NYC area so if know anyone that can help, let me know.
    Thanks

2. rjrose

rjrose Junior Member

My wife was rear-ended and the back bumper had to be replaced. That was a real drag, because I wouldn't let the shop do the work until replacement stickers came from the DMV!

It was expensive. We had a collision repair shop do the work, and the insurance paid for it, but I know that it was lots of money. The cost is in the paint (a replacement has to be painted) and the labor.

3. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was rear ended in the right rear bumper which also damaged the quarter panel and when they took it apart, the half axle thingee (they called it something else, but its what the rear wheel is attached to) was bent. Had a top notch body shop do it. It was expensive, but didn't pay too much attention as it was on her nickel.

edit: came out looking like new.

4. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It costs about $500 to replace the plastic rear bumper. Most of the cost is to get it painted.

5. exhuman

exhuman Member

why can't they produce a bumper that can protect and also be tough enuf not to need to be protected.