1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Bumper protector pad.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by triumph1, May 2, 2008.

1. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking about getting one, and recently I was rear ended and the body shop botched the install on the clear appliqué bumper protector the car comes with. I'm supposed to go back next week for the clear appliquéinstall. Is it best to just leave the clear appliqué off if I'm going to put on the pad?

PriusChat Shop : Toyota Prius OEM Rear Bumper Protector [00016-47015] - $36.99

Also, in the event I get rear ended again, will I be able to reapply the pad, or is it one and done install?

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Leave off the clear applique just use the bumper protector. It will look odd having a sticker under it or you won't see it at all under the black protector. Resell the Prius applique as it is worth more than the black protector.
    If you are rear ended again and the bumper protector isn't damaged it should be removable and with new double sided tape re-install it. It just has 2 strips of double sided tape to hold it on.

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just installed the hard rubberized rear bumper protector yesterday. It couldnt have been easier and it looks great. It would cover a great deal of imperfections on the bumper surface.

I got it from the Prius Shop here!

4. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Would anyone here recommend the Rear Bumper Applique? I have read the one review from the store and the guy didn't like it.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought the applique before learning of the rubber strip. Next time I'm getting the rubber strip. Since I don't carry cargo often the applique is adequate.

6. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Use the vinyl rear bumper protector. When purchased as an option with the vehicle, this item (BP30) costs $129, compared with under $40 when you do it yourself. It's easy and looks good.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Besides being more protective and cheaper, I think the black bumper protector looks better than the not so clear applique.

8. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    NO. Remove the clear appliqué before adding the black plastic protector

YES. It's only double sided tape holding it on.

p.s. Before any adhesive installs (like the black rear bumper protector) clean the surface first with denatured alcohol(store paint department) to ensure all oils/waxes/etc. are removed. This will promote best adhesion (imo)

9. Speedwing

Speedwing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I recently installed the "clear" full length applique protector. You hardley notice it is there. For our use it works great. It was not difficult to apply .... but I have experience with doing this. The black rubber heavy duty is much easier to apply. My friends Prius is pretty scratched up from loading in his dog. I might buy him the black one for his birthday and install it for him.

10. VenicePrius

VenicePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got the black, rear bumper pad on eBay for $30 + shipping - fits, looks, and protects great. Do it.

11. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dare to be different, that's me.

Here are three photos of the clearshield covering the curved upper portion of the rear bumper shelf, specifically the upper left and upper right slope and everything in between. The shield stops right at the bumper shelf edge, it does not fold over the edge.

Can you spot the clearshield?

(the 3rd picture shows both the clearshield line and the bumper edge, you can see the edge, but the clearshield is very elusive)

I vote for the clearshield.

ZC1

Attached Files: