1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear cup holder comes off very easily. Dealer: That's normal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 4G63, Aug 11, 2010.

1. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This has been an issue for a long time. The entire panel behind the center compartment with the cup holder would just come off for no reason. When if first happened, I was driving and it just felt right off. I snapped it back in place and it looked tight. But every now and then, it will just come off itself. Everytime I snapped it back in place but with just a little tap from the side of the cup holder, it's off again.

I've had it and I told the service advisor about the problem as I brought the car to the dealer for an oil change. The guy claimed he has never seen anything like this before and called the service manager to take a look. Then they looked at other gen2 priuses they had. Almost everyone of them came off with just a tap from the side. One of them required a little more effort but it's still very easy to take that off.

Then they told me it's normal since all Priuses they checked are like that. "We didn't design it, we just fix it".. Well that's true but that sounded a little irresponsible. They ordered a new part hoping it will get it fixed. Lucky it's still under warranty. I'll see what's next.

I think this is a manufacturer defect. I really didn't expect something like this from a Toyota. We rarely use the rear seats. Even when we did, I'm pretty sure the cup holders were not used, or being put on a heavy load or anything. Has this happened to anybody?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's never happened with our Gen II.

Tom

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had a 5 gal. bottle of water on the floor of the back seat and when i went around a corner, it tipped and hit the side of the cupholder and snapped it off. i thought i broke it, but it popped right back in. no problem since then. it seems to be fine with full drinks in it, but may be designed to come off easily with pressure from the side?

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The clips that hold it in are pretty standard. But you really have to have them pushed in all the way for the clips to snap and lock in, which doesnt seem the norm from the factory. I actually ordered a new one when mine fell off because I thought the clip was broken. As I waited for the new one, I snapped the old one back in and pressed firmly. It now wont budge, and I have a new spare. :)

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't recall hearing an issue like that on PriusChat (I've been here for long time now), however, what you've described doesn't seem out of line. It's mostly plastic and most parts are snapped on, rather than screwed on (plastic tabs save weight over screws). Heck, it's easy to disassemble the passenger side of the dash with no tools!

6. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    right i can understand that but it seems to be overeasily to come loose which looks like a defect to me. sometimes it would just come off when i drive the car over a bumpy road.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That shouldn't happen. But there's no design defect. I think yours is either broken or not snapped in fully. On my Gen II, and as others have noted, it requires a pretty hefty tap (like with a knee or a 5 gallon water bottle) for it to come off.

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Long time, no see 4G63. :wave:

I just checked my cupholder panel - it's pretty secure. Good luck getting it fixed.

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On my Gen II it comes off pretty easily. Fortunately, it goes back on pretty easily, so I don't care.

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mine falls off too.. get new clips

11. samdaman

samdaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Mine came off once. It was open at the time, and got a pretty hard knock from a suitcase against one side. It did not appear damaged, went back easily, and hasn't come off since.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok.. now that shouldn't happen.

13. Lsegovic

Lsegovic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where did you order the part? I just when today to the dealer and I knew mine was broken, they said " just snapped in" ? which is a lie because I knew the piece was broken!! They know about the issue just playing dummy like with the supposed ABS pump noise!! the guys in the TOYOTA dealer acted like he didn't care, they are prepared to say no to everything

14. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Judging from my experiences, that's because they don't. :mad:

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    eBay is my friend. :) It was brand new, wrapped in plastic, and had a Toyota part number sticker on it. I am guessing some employee who sells things online at their discount rate, but that is just a guess...

16. Lsegovic

Lsegovic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks I will keep searching on ebay! BTW I'm trying to find a website that sells toyota parts for 2010 prius with the blowout images? do you guys know if there is any available? when I had my accord I was constantly buying parts online to replace the broken ones to keep the car in good shape, they must have also the plastic cup holder and the console in leather and any other plastic parts THANKS!

17. wenwilwa

wenwilwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We bought our Gen II Prius used a year ago and the back cup holder is contantly falling off. And now that I think of it, when we test drove another used Prius, the back cup holder fell off that one too.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they don't fall off when closed.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably why they eliminated it in the gen III and went with the rear center armrest cupholders. i miss mine tho, it was easy to reach from the drivers seat.

20. 06matador

06matador New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius, and my rear cup holders fall off constantly- the whole back panel falls off and I have to snap it back on. It has been doing this since the car was new.When I pointed it out to the dealer, they were completely unfazed. Very annoying....