Rear dashcam wiring path suggestions? (2017 Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Wraiththe, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Need to wire a rear window camera to my dashcam in windshield. Will try to post some pics later.
    Originally I was going to go along the power source I wired in...

Along the front of the roof liner,
    into the A pillar but BEHIND the air bag
    and into the dash and the fuse box
    Then along the floor at edges of carpet and under trim,
    then up to the roof liner and through the channel that goes from under the liner and to the inside of the hatch window area. Then mounting the camera at the top center of the rear hatch window.
    (I had another post with a pic of the rear hatch.

Now I am thinking of just going along the roof line on the passenger side?

Surely someone here knows the best/easiest/cleanest way?

Know I have been asking a lot... with a new (used) car... really milking it, but hope to pay it forward. Thanks.

2. HopefulGasSipper

HopefulGasSipper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I tried to upload a photo and lost my entire post. I have a 4th generation, 2018 Prius 3. A 6 m cable is not sufficient to get back into the liftgate/hatch with a centered camera mounting in any location. That is presuming that the camera is being mounted up by the rear view mirror and lane departure-photo recognition camera cluster.

A bigger concern is how to get the wiring into the liftgate. It has been a difficult attempt to even lift the rubber covering for the two lines going down into the lift gate. They appear to have clips in there which may limit the ability to run any extra wire, especially a coaxial shielded one for the dash cam system. If it is possible to get through that connector, you will definitely have to run down the a pillar and along the track then up under the headliner only at the back of the car. The reason why is that there is some safety structure in the roof that will prevent fishing the wire straight back from the rear view mirror cluster. The attached photo is where the dome light that is featured over the backseat area is located.

Attached Files:

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't tried a Prius yet, but the "usual way" for many late model ordinary cars is to partially drop the headliner and thread an electrician's fiberglass fishing rod from the back to the front, hook or tape the wire to the rod at the front and then draw it through to the rear.

I say "drop the headliner" but in reality it can be as little as loosening the overhead grab handles on one side only, and then a pop fastener or two to create the space needed to fish the rod through.

Generic example of tool

Wraiththe likes this.
  4. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry I did not take any pics while doing this.I popped up the A pillar... ran a wire from the rearview mirror along the windshield... pushing it in and then behind the airbag in the pillar. Normally I would have disconnected the battery, but the space was large enough to the the cable through easily.
    I pulled off the weatherstripping along the doors and loosened the pillar between them. There was plenty of space behind the airbags to just run the cables along the roofline in the headliner.
    I loosened the pillar cover behind the rear seat and the back of the headliner and that weather stripping... and ran the cable to there for now.
    Once I decide if the location should be the top of the hatch window or the top or the smaller lower window, I will pull the cable through the rubber tubes between the headliner and the hatch.

I am thinking of trying to pop out the overhead console too... to see if I can bunch up some extra wire there.

I wired a kit for the older dashcam with a mini USB adapter and had to get a converter adapter to USB C for the new one... so until I decide to redo that one... there is now an unwelcome small excessive amount of cable there. I hope the extreme heat of summer will not damage anything.

5. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You a Buckaroo Bonsai fan?

"laugh while you can monkey boy"

6. HopefulGasSipper

HopefulGasSipper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Last week I put the camera in both locations and used my cell phone app to look at the view. I used the grease pen to Mark the center point on both windows, the slanted one and then the small vertical one. Because I think that parking lot accidents are more likely, along with rear enders and stuff, I felt that the lower position was better for getting license plates and seeing the driver's face rather than seeing the beautiful skyline, meteors falling to Earth and big rigs rear-ending other cars in the background. I may lose out on seeing a bunch of other stuff in other lanes and other cars, but I feel confident in protecting my own interests with the lower mounting.

If you figure out a way to get through that rubber covered channel, please document it! It looks daunting and I have neuropathy which makes doing crap with my hands somewhat frustrating anyway. My preferred way is to run headliner to a pillar pass the fuse box and under the channel to the driver side doors front and back. I actually got all the way there when I figured out that 6 meters of cable wasn't going to make it. ☹️

7. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Front is in, rear is temp.
    From Driver perspective, dashcam is almost invisible... also shielding eyes from IR emitters.
    FRONT 1.jpg FRONT 2.jpg
    Pulling that overhead console out really helped get that cable in overhead.

Will be playing with the final location for rear camera.
    REAR.jpg

8. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice job. I just ran mine just inside the edging all the way back on the passenger side. I didn't want to stick my rear camera on the tinted window so mounted it on the lower-glass panel. I still need to secure the wire back there a little better on the edge of the glass.