1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear disc brakes & pads guide (UK)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by NatJS, Oct 26, 2017.

1. NatJS

NatJS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been hunting around for a guide on how to replace the rear discs and pads on the Gen 2 Prius, without much luck. There seems to be a really good guide on the front brakes but I guess as there are fewer cars with rear disc brakes there doesn't seem to be one that I can find that covers the rears! I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Am I correct in thinking that you don't need any software or a computer simply to replace the rear discs and pads?

Just on one side the rear disc is very deeply scored and makes an awful sound when I brake very hard. I'm guessing perhaps the guide pin has seized - the other side looks absolutely fine, but I presume it's better to replace both sides at the same time.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Depends on with of the two rear disc brake setup you have.

For first type:

This is not a very good video as it doesn’t show how to clean or lubricate anything and they let the caliber hang from hose. But it shows everything else.

For second type Akebono I could not find a instructuons for a Prius but this is the exact same setup on some Corollas, RAV4s or Celicas.
    Front and rear brake pad change - Workshop Submissions - Toyota Owners Club - Australia
    But again it doesn’t show how to clean or lubricate anything. You can probably find a lot better guide somewhere.

You do not need a computer. Best is to follow Brake service guide to make sure that computer has no control over brakes when doing the work.

3. NatJS

NatJS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I believe the brakes are as shown in the video. Do I just need to clean and lubricate the guide pins or is there something else to do as well?

4. NatJS

NatJS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, I just noticed the link to the brake service page. Thanks!

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You should clean the slide pins and lubricate them with silicon grease. Also the areas that the brake pads slide against should be cleaned enough that pads can move freely. In that and most setups that’s the caliper bracket (part that you remove before the disc can be removed). You might need to use something like file but don’t file it down just clean the corrosion away. For those areas use very little high temp grease (brake grease can be used for bought these and slide pins).

Also clean ta face of the hub so that new brake disc sits flush. Sand paper and file works for this. Again just get the corrosion off.

The amount of cleaning that needs to be done mostly depends on the conditions where you drive. So if you don’t drive on salted roads you don’t really need that much cleaning. That’s why some people are ok without really doing any.

NatJS likes this.