1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear door correction entails what, exactly?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by NonFormulaic, Aug 8, 2024 at 1:21 PM.

1. NonFormulaic

NonFormulaic Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does anyone know what the “fix” is for the rear door safety correction?

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    We don't exactly know yet. From news reports from Japanese press, it appears to be adding a membrane or new seal to the door handle assembly to keep water from penetrating to the switch.

I'll post the instructions as soon as they become available, but from looking at the instructions to remove the rear door outside handle assembly, it's likely going to be a pretty big job requiring the rear doors to be pretty well disassembled(removing the assembly is listed as step 24).

3. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I put some black electrical tape over the button area til it gets sorted

4. soft_r

soft_r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    How about you read the yapper's thread where they show the fixed part? Safety Recall Rear Doors | PriusChat

It's just below this one that you made. They even link a video showing exactly what goes on

And like so many yappers have already said on this issue, it's not a big deal. Leave your auto lock in drive feature enabled and your doors will stay shut. Even if they somehow opened while driving, the force from the wind wouldn't allow them to just FLY open, they'd mostly stay close to the body of the car.

5. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I missed that video in the other thread. Nice to finally know exactly what the fix is. So it looks like the article in the Japanese press about adding waterproofing layers was either mostly incorrect or just incorrectly translated. The fix isn't adding waterproofing layers, it's replacing a part(which is what I always figured they were going to have to do; so the news article back in June confused me).

And it's as big of a job as I feared. You basically have to tear the rear door apart to get the assembly free(including removing the glass). The instructions say 1.0-1.5 hours, but I wonder if that's for both doors or just one? Probably both, but I'll wait to see the TSB document for confirmation.

I wouldn't want to do the job myself. Doors can be a PITA to work on. (Says the guy that had to pull apart most of my front doors fairly recently to remove, modify, and replace the door wiring harnesses.)