1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Ended - Damage to the front quarter panel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priussmg, Nov 2, 2008.

1. priussmg

priussmg New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yesterday, my new 2009 (still with temp tags) was rear ended by a huge pick up truck. It was a low speed impact (less then 20 MPH) but the truck had a pusher bars or cage on its' front. The damage to the rear end was obviously related to the impact but there is also what appears to be crumple damage to the left front quarter panel (back part of the wheel well, about half way down). The highway patrol officer indicated that he had not seen damage of this type from being rear ended but, he also stated that he hadn't seen that many Prius accidents. There is no other reason for that damage to exist as we would have noted it. Has any one else experienced similar damage?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a small crumple area like that too. ever since i've noticed it, my steering has been off.

i assume something in the car's frame has shifted. ( i hope i'm wrong... but i don't see any other way currently )

3. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    priussmg,

I tried to respond a few minutes ago with some more detail, but when I went to submit my post, my computer could not find PriusChat's server & I lost my whole post (I didn't think I needed to cut & paste using 2 sessions as I usually do over at PriusOnLine). But I don't want to re-type everything I said so I'll answer briefly.

I could see that front quarter panel damage if the hit on the rear was left of center or the truck was steer'g to the left just before the impact, even more likely if the rear of your car was lifted up slightly during the impact & your brakes were applied as the leftward forces would be pushing more against the left front brake. And with any upward lift, those forces would be more likely to buckle the lower part of the car than the upper & you said "(back part of the wheel well, about half way down)". A good insurance adjuster or body shop (I'm not in those lines of business---my opinion is just that, a guess) should be able to determine exactly how the front damage occurred. Sorry to hear of your accident & I hope your baby is back on the road soon. It's so unfair to have it happen when your car is so new.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)