1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Facing Camera - Text Backwards

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by JoelIrwin, Nov 8, 2011.

1. JoelIrwin

JoelIrwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hope I posted this question in the right place. I have one of those cameras that turn on when I go in reverse. Now what is on the right of the car shows up on the right of the display and ditto for the left - that's fine. Tonight I noticed that as I was backing up, I was able to see the license plate of the car behind me on the screen and the text was backwards like you would see in a rear view mirror.

I assume it is supposed to be that way, i.e., "by design". But I wonder why Toyota did not reverse it so I could read the text behind me as I backed up.

Joel

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    People are used to using a mirror to back-up so they made it look like a mirror view would.

3. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you were parallel parking on the right hand side of the street with the rear facing camera image reversed, you would see the curb on the left hand side of the image. For some, that would not be fun!

4. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah! And how about fixing the mirrors while they're at it!

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As stated above, it's the mirror issue. People are accustomed to rear view mirrors. Having the camera image unreversed would be confusing.

Tom

6. JoelIrwin

JoelIrwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't mind the image - would like to be able to read the text. I don't use my rear view mirror to backup - that is IMHO unsafe. I turn my head and look backwards. Is Toyota able to make the text look correctly if I ask them to?

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, but then they would be required to mount the display in the rear window so you had to turn around to see it..

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have several anecdotes, but remember the plural of anecdotes is not data.

We had a 'modder' here on Prius chat who wanted to black out the READY light on his dash. Once you do that, you have lied to every first responder in the world who was promised they could know when the HV Battery was engaged during a wreck. Making your reverse camera work backward puts every other driver of your car at risk. I am betting your insurance would instantly be void. (anytime you are in reverse)

My younger brother once mounted his handle bar grips on the 'other' end of the bar, pushing away with your left hand made the motorcycle faster, the clutch was on the right and the front brake on the left. No one who had ever ridden a motorcycle could ride it, the better you were, the harder it was. Folks who had never ridden before only found it awkward.

In 1977, the US NHTSA decided that a Motorcycle that steered with the rear tire might be safer than front wheel steering. (Try driving a grocery cart around the store backward. That is 1 MPH, now imagine it at highway speed with 2 fewer wheels.)
    Once they found that no-one in the NHTSA could ride what they had designed longer than 2.5 seconds, they hired professional road racers to ride it. They were worse at it than folks who had never ridden before.

In my case, as an example, I have 45 years of habit and expectation how a rear view device works. I am going to need $0 deductible even to get your car out of the shop if I build it.

9. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wish there was an indicator, a light, a beeper, or something that let you know when a thread is in jest, a lampoon, or otherwise not serious.

I was gonna' suggest twisting around and looking into a mirror held up to the display...

As for crossed controls, I once owned a Famous James, throttle on the right handlegrip, twist forward to accelerate... but the kicker was the right side of the gas tank lever shift!!!!!! At least the clutch was on the left.

Let's see... we could mount a mirror on the license plate, then point the camera at the mirror.....

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can't see a Vampires reflection in a mirror, what are the odds he would show up on the rear view camera, and would you run him over if he didn't ! :confused: