1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear fog light technical info!

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by petteri, May 30, 2004.

1. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ok, after much searching of the web and browsing through the Prius service manual (both in German, which I don't know and English) I've got some info to share! To turn on the rear fog lights in an EU Prius you trun the fog light switch to a "third" stop, i.e. one more that what the US Prius had on its switch. This switch connects to the HEADLAMP DIMMER SWITCH ASSY. from what I've found on page 65-5 in the US manual this is connector C7. In this connector are pins numbered 1 - 20. Pins 3-4 are the ones that control the fog lights on a US Prius. However in Europe pin 2 is also used, and that is the pin that I think controls the rear fog lamp., it is not mentioned in the US manual. So in the US if pin 3 and 4 are "off" the front fog lights are OFF if pins 3 and 4 are on the front fog lights are ON. In Europe I think it works as such; if 2, 3 and 4 are off front and rear fogs are OFF if 3 and 4 are on front fogs are ON if 2, 3, and 4 are on the FRONT and REAR fogs are ON. This is what I've gotten from the German service manual which can be found here:

http://www.prius-forum.org

page 65-5 in the US version (from Ebay) is found on the german page 65-20.

So if anyone here can comment of my "major" :wink: discovery and if this means that all I need to do is install the switch and new taillamp and I'm ready to go. I'm hoping the wire from the ECU to the taillamp is the same I don't know how to verify that yet.

Peter
    Miami, FL USA

2. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So... Have you tried this yet?

3. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, for a couple of reasons. I've heard a couple of reports of melting tail light assemblies. I live in Miami and while mine haven't shown any evidence of this I'm wary of spending the cash only to have them melt away. I may wait until this is resolved. I'm also saving my money for some of Coastal Dave's stuff. I found a dealer in Finland that would ship me the EU tail lamp assy. so that part of the project wouldn't be a problem.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The 'melting' problem with Prius Tail-Lights is on the Brake Light section, which is already LEDs.

So, it's unlikely that it's an issue with heat from lighting. It appears to be the black plastic vanes absorbing solar heat in an enclosed area.

I haven't heard back from the dealership on what, if anything, Toyota is going to do about it, but since it looks like I'll be going in for TSB EL002-05 anyway, Ill ask again then.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That link won't load.

Nate

7. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring