1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear fog lights...?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pearsonrj, Nov 29, 2005.

1. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    From the UK Toyota website it looks like the Prius comes with rear fog lights. Do ALL European Prii come with them, or do they only come with the more expensive packages? Are the US Prius taillight housings designed to accomodate a rear fog light? Where is the on/off switch on European Prii? Is there a kit that can be bought here in the US or in Europe to fit a rear fog light using the existing taillight housing?

Thanks!

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The switch is in the same place as that for the front fog lamps. If you have front fog lamps, they come on as the first stop on the twist-ring, and then turning it further activates the rear fog lamps (and the ring springs back).

The US taillight housing differs in two ways (that I can see) from European ones. Firstly, it has an extra strip of red reflector up the side, and secondly the tail light is twice the size, occupying the combined space of the European fog lamp and tail lamp. The European fog lamp is inboard of the tail lamp.

4. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the answers. Personally I think rear fog lamps should be required in the US. Most manufacturers seem to favor front fog lamps over rears, mainly because car buyers think they make the car look better and provide better visibility in all low light conditions (which I think is rubbish). Rear fog lamps may save you from being rear-ended in fog, whereas if you don't have front fog lamps then you just have to drive a little bit slower...

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've only noticed the fog in front of the car.