1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear fog lights?

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by petteri, Jan 22, 2004.

1. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi

Does anyone here with an 04 Prius (new style as models years may differ from country to country) in Europe or elsewhere have any pictures of a Prius with REAR fog lights installed? Where in the dash is the switch located? I'd like to add a rear fog light to my US model 04 but need some more info. Thanks for the help!

Peter
    Miami, FL USA

2. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

Are you referring to the "European" feature of activating the brake light on the driver's side so that you are more visible to vehilces following. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I always thought that was a relatively simple rewiring of the brake light so that it alternatively could be activated by a dash switch.

I always chuckle at the people who find this switch, and never seem to recognise the need to TURN IT OFF. But, I guess the same could be said for the fog lamps at the front of vehicles.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :?

Rear fog light? Can you elaborate? I can't imagine what purpose that would serve unless, as described above, it just increases the visibility of the back of the car for drivers behind in the fog. I'd never heard of such a thing before now.

4. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes its so other drivers can see you. It usually isn't a brake light but a separate light. Its standard on some cars here in the US. I've had it on a SAAB and I've seen it (mostly mis-used) on Mercs and BMWs.

Peter

5. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

Peter,

On my wife's 98 MB, it is the brake light. Perhaps there are exceptions, but I've always noticed this being that way on cars. In Europe, it is a requirement to have such a light. It seems surprising that Toyota didn't include this feature automatically for such a "worldly" car model.

6. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well in any case I'd like to add the rear fog light to my Prius but I don't know if its really possible. The switch on the European model is the same as on our Prius but with addition poistion on the fog light switch for the rear. Thus it goes OFF-FRONT-FRONT+REAR. But on the US model wiring diagram and serivce manual (bought off EBay) I see NO reference to a rear fog light at all. The lighting switchs seem to all go through the BODY ECU so I don't know that needs to be reprogrammed or not. Lots to find out before I go and try to order parts!

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let us know if you find anything...interesting idea with all the nasty rear-end pile ups in bad fog.

8. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 84 Euro 240D had the rear fog light. It was a seperate light operated by pulling the light switch all the way out to it's farthest stop. Neat option.

9. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Euro Rear Fog Lamp Location and Purpose

However the installation is accomplished, the light is a brighter burning, standard bulb (Hella, et al) on the drive side rear and remains on at a brighter intensity than a standard rear running light.

I recall it coming on automatically when I turned on the factory standard front fog lamps on my '91 Mercedes Benz 300E. The light switch has a small amber light in the center of the switch that comes on to remind the driver that the fog lamps are on.

One day it burned out; I replaced it with an inexpensive aftermarket bulb from a NAPA store in Vancouver, WA. Worked fine.

A simple but very sensible accessory for those of us who experience fog throughout the year. I truly hate being rear-ended, at ANY speed.

Hope someone comes up with the install technique and pix.

Bob

10. stuhillman2004

stuhillman2004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Jaguar sedans are fitted with rear fog lights - they are a separate lamp, not the brake lights, one on each side. The switch (at least on my XJ8) is a toggle switch not a latching switch so that when the ignition is turned off the fog lights go off (front and rear) and don't turn on again until you activate the switch the next time. Helps folks like me with rapidly deteriorating brain function - something to do with age, alcohol consumption and kids that need to be tuned out!

11. madrigal

madrigal New Member

12. Batavier

Batavier Member

Some years ago some cars here in Europe had two fog lights, which was a bit nasty sometimes, because you could not see if they were braking. Even though the brake lights were different lights, the fog lights burn much brighter. It was then uncommon (or sometimes even illegal) to have a third brake light in the middle. Luckily now most cars have a third brake light.

My Peugeot 206 has a fog light in the middle of the rear, found a picture of a 206 rear (not mine).

http://www.cwn.org.uk/motoring/peugeot/ima...d-w400-h266.jpg

13. vandalay

vandalay New Member

Just a little more info. on rear fog lights.

They are supposed to be used only in fog and other visibility-impaired conditions, such as rain at night.

They have been available in Europe since at least the 1950s, if not earlier. They became a feature of US spec Mercedes-Benz, Audi and other brands in the late 80s and early 90s. Before that, many owners ran wires, obtained sockets and activated their own rear fogs. Ones on Mercedes were activated by pulling the light switch out two clicks and sometimes you would see an orange or green indicator illuminate on that switch. Audi had a separate switch on the console.

Usually the rear fog can only be used after the front fogs have been illuminated, the theory being if it was foggy in front, it was difficult for someone else to see the back of your vehicle. Early Mercedes G-wagens (gelaendewagen) could have the rear fog illuminated with only the parking or city lights on. Afaik, Jaguar and Land Rover are the only brands to have two rear fog lights on their US models. I've noticed many of these owners illuminate their rear fogs for everyday night driving, creating a somewhat blinding situation for the rest of us.

On US spec vehicles of the 70s and on, different manufacturers used, or didn't use the blank space where a rear fog light would be on a Euro spec vehicle. Mercedes left the space plain with no reflector. Volvo I think added another parking light (totaling two on each side of their 240 model). Some manu. added a red reflector in the space.

Info from the Bosch Automotive Handbook, 5th Edition:
    Fog warning lamps (rear fog lamps)
    EEC 77/538, ECE R38, StVZO § 53d (FMVSS/CUR).
    The European Union nations have man­dated that one or two red-light fog warning lamps (rear fog lamps) will be installed on all new vehicles.
    They must be distanced at least 100 mm from the stop lamp.
    The visible illuminated area along the reference axis is not to exceed 140cm2. The electrical switching must be designed to ensure that the fog warning lamp oper­ates only in conjunction with the low beam, high beam and/or front fog lamp. It must also be possible to switch off the fog warning lamps independently of the front fog lamps.
    Prescribed indicator lamp: Yellow (green also approved on vehicles initially registered prior to January 1981).

14. vandalay

vandalay New Member

I forgot my question:

The Prius tail light housing seems to be different in the US than elsewhere in that in the US the lower third (section) is one compartment containing the parking light. Other country housings that include the rear fog light seem to have two compartments within the lower third.

If anyone has installed or has access to wiring diagrams, is it just a matter of getting the non-US housing and the wiring is ready (in addition to the different turn signal switch at the steering column) or must the wire be run to the new switch, ECU, etc?

15. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I too am still interested in this. All I know to date is that a new stitch and light are needed. I'm still hoping that the wiring is there.

16. GreenBeanMachine

GreenBeanMachine New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(petteri @ Jan 22 2004, 11:24 PM) [snapback]2214[/snapback]</div>
    The rear fog lights (come in a pair) reside beside the rear braking light (the one above the reflector) on the inner side. Roughly splitting yr current brake light 50-50. The switch is on the stalk where you find the control for your front fog light.

It's a useless feature in my country which i still do not understand why they make it a standard item. I would rather have the front foglight anytime.