1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear hatch problem: broken

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by THF, Aug 10, 2013.

1. THF

THF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a simple post: Rear hatch won't open from outside; latch seems to be toasted. It can be released from inside, and will open then, as you imagine this is very inconvenient. Any ideas? I did a search on the forum; I could not find anything; perhaps I did not use the correct search criteria but nonetheless nothing turned up. Thanks in advance!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. THF

THF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't been able to check battery yet but will do soon. Any other ideas? In every other ways the car is acting fine.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If every way car ok it must be a bad hatch lock.

5. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

6. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When you say the latch seems to be toasted, do you just mean it isn't working or has the rubber cover of the switch turned to a sticky consistency. This is a fairly common problem in 2007-08 Prius and other Toyota models I have read many blogs about. I had to replace the back door opener switch on my 2007 Prius, because of the stickiness, the switch itself was functional. The cover had just turned into a gooey mess and it made it hard to find the actual mechanical switch button underneath when I pushed.
    If this is the case, tarlike surface that is, look for my post on back door opener switch replacement, "How to Replace Gen II Prius Back Door Opener Switch".

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. THF

THF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The latch itself feels perfectly fine. If I have the hatch open (manually, from the inside), when I push the button, the little interior light dims slightly, as if it is still getting the message. So, either the button is getting the message and stalling out before sending the signal down to the latch, or the latch is broken and preventing the button from being able to open it. Either way, I am just going to take it down to the dealer. It needs a new coolant sensor anyways; I can just have them take a look at the latch.