1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear hatch removal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jamesmc, Mar 10, 2016.

1. jamesmc

jamesmc New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a bit of a strange problem to encounter, but I'm trying to fit an engine for my truck into the back of my 07 Prius. There are a few issues I'm theorizing. One is the weight. The engine, a 3.2L 4 cylinder probably weighs around 500 lbs. Will the rear springs (the prii springs seem pretty soft) be okay with that amount of weight? The second issue is actually getting the engine in there. Is there an easy way to take the liftgate off? Would disconnecting the electric connectors mess with the smart key or other electrics? Maybe it would be possible to just disconnect the liftgate struts and open it further than normally allowed? (Of course being careful to not scratch anything.) For some reason, I can't imagine many people have accomplished this with a prius, so if anyone has some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This takes the cake in terms of WTFrankfurter are you thinking?

Can you not afford $19 + tax, and rent the Home Depot stake bed truck for 75minutes to accomplish your engine transportation? Doesn't this seem easier and cleaner than contemplating what you propose?

There are daylaborers outside of Home Depot who have trucks. Talk to them and see how much they would want to transport that engine. I would think $20-$30, if it is close and take less than one hour would be enough for someone there to do.

You can always rent a truck from Uhaul, Enterprise, etc. But this option will probably be the most expensive.

#2 exstudent, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    xliderider likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was able to transport a Prius transaxle using my 2006. That wasn't quite 500 lbs and I didn't have to remove the hatch. It worked out quite well at the end. I agree renting a truck from HomeDepot for $20 is much easier than what you're proposing.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    According to Home Despot, there are 67 stores in New Jersey.

Every Home Depot I have entered or driven by, had day laborers.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh yeah. I take our mild winters for granted.

6. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've hauled a Gen 3 CVT and a lot more at different times where I bottomed out on the ride back more than once. Just amazing what these can handle!

I've wondered so much about the Gen2's and this is good to know. I now own a 2006 Prius and she already came with the "overlander" package. So folding wood same plane platform as rear section above the rear seat where removed with two hinged sections that fold back ultimately latching where the rear seat back latches. Neat design. Better than the Gen3 where the front seat can be set back far enough to be under the platform.

Next, I need to get a cover of some sort (if even cardboard) for over the carpet, so to not soil that and the side carpet, for if and when I decide to camp out.