1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear hatch squeaking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ltu1542hvy, Feb 22, 2005.

1. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I couple of weeks ago I started a thread to see if anybody else had experienced a squeaking or squealing noise emanating from the rear hatch area (mine started with only 600 miles on the odometer), and there were a number of very helpful suggestions. Unfortunately this thread was a casualty of the recent server crash, and I figured I'd summarize the information here in case somebody else ever has this problem and could find it useful.

In my case there was a fairly high-pitched squeak that would occur intermittently. One poster suggested having somebody drive me around while I sit in the back seat to help find exactly where the noise came from. Somebody else suggested using a hose of some sort, either some dryer vent tubing, a garden hose or any kind of tubing - I imagine a beer bong would work as well :mrgreen: - to use in a fashion similar to a stethoscope while being chauffeured around to try to find the source of the noise.

Things to check and to try that were suggested included:
    - using a drop of sewing machine oil on each hinge while quickly wiping up any excess
    - applying silicone lubricant, available from places like Lowes or Home Depot, on the weather stripping
    - the squeak could emanate from the rear side triangular windows. No fix for this was suggested
    - the tonneau cover (that window-shade like thang) covering the trunk
    - make sure that the rear seatbacks are properly latched. Fix by folding forward and folding back into place
    - the bottom cushion of the rear seat. Try pulling up and replacing
    - the retaining arm keeping the mini spare tire in place.

In my case I finally found the noise to be coming from the moulded plastic tub sitting atop the spare tire compartment. Apparently it wasn't put in "just right" at some point. After I removed that tub and replaced it, making sure all grooves and latches lined up properly I have not had the squeak recur.

- Bill

2. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you found the noise. :D I have not had any concerns with squeaks/rattles in either generation of Prius'. They are a really tight vehicle,unlike some of the other models & any noises would be unusual.

3. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm glad I found it too. I was rather dismayed when it first happened, since it sounded EXACTLY like the squeak the rear hatch of my Integra developed after about 100k miles, which I didn't bother tracking down and just wrote off to old age.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe I need to check my plastic box. I have a squeak coming from the rear left area and can't figure out what it is and specifically, where it is

5. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Try taking out and reinserting that plastic tub above the spare tire and if that doesn't do it, try the other things listed above. Once you have it resolved please post back here, since I would be curious to know what it turns out to be.

- Bill

6. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

Thanks for the reply
    We see little things like that all the time. All you can do as a technician is to find a way to rule things out. Sorry that was not suggested that would have been an easy place to start. Just drive it with box removed.
    Great job. Warranty would pay me only .2 hr to fix that . Or say it should take 12min. for us to fix isn't warranty great to the Technicians.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, my foam in the seats squeak. Usually when cold. Is this normal?

(the rattle from the tonneau cover is always there. I'll probably have to stick some foam pieces. As for the rattle, I will try the plastic box solution)

8. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

yes I have that when it is cold I don't like the cold either.
    I hope it warms up soon this cold is killing me.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    alright, so it's normal then.

10. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

Ya it's normal. If it gets loader or changes take it in.

11. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kyle Pehrson\";p=\"66635)</div>
    Oh how I love warranty work :lol: But I have patience for noises(I better,I get most of them).

12. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

It takes special hnack to do squeaks & rattles. I hope I never get it. Rick you da man & I hope you don't loss your hearing like me. That use to be my excuse but my wife says my hearing is getting worse. But that my could be me choosing to tune her out. I do like the musis loud. Heavy Metal, Older Rock ect.

Sure has been slow lately, and very few Prius's have been breaking, just oil changes & PDI's, but thats ok. The Prius is very Dependable.

13. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just the kind of music I like :D .As long as I have been doing noises,I don't think I could fake being hard of hearing,haha. But I do have really good luck tracing most of them down. Little slow here also,but this week I didn't mind since my back is killing me. Had to get help from others(they all owe me for all the questions they ask,haha)so it went ok.Hope it picks up but those days of long ago I believe are gone. We are in a different time of vehicle repair.

14. mspencer

mspencer New Member

Or I guess if you didn't have a [strike:4399c2b568]stethe[/strike:4399c2b568] [strike:4399c2b568]stetha[/strike:4399c2b568] doctor's listening thingey, you could always use one of these:

http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/prof...les/AT835b.html

Next time a car I own develops a new noise, I'm busting that sucker out. :)

Maybe Prius techs are used to weird customers with weird cars, but I wonder what my local Mercury dealer would do if I brought in a recording. "My Sable is making a noise when I go over bumps...here, put these headphones on."

:)

(Now I just need to think of a way to shock-mount that mic securely in the car. My little boom mic stand would bounce around too much...)

15. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No noise yet on my 05, but I was wondering if that piece right between the two rear windows is a weak spot, it has a little wiggle to it and I'm training myself to not close the trunk from the top of the rear hatch. :?

16. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

What piece? Sorry it's time for bed.

17. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I think he means the plastic spoiler. It's creaky and moves a lot if you try to slam the hatch with it. I've learned to use the metal lip of the hatch instead.

18. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I use the internal handle. Just give it a good enough tug and it'll swing down and shut.

Took a bit of practice to learn the necessary force, but it works every time now. Don't want sticky fingerprints on my lovely paintwork!

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

My spoiler rattles too when I close the hatch. Mainly because it isn't mounted quite right. I bent the mount holes when I inadvertently backed the car out of the garage with the hatch open.
    The bodyshop tried to get it lined up, and at the time seemed OK, but now it bugs me.