1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear hatch swap from no camera to factory rear view camera. Is it possible to work?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by da_don_1, Aug 11, 2020.

1. da_don_1

da_don_1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone. I've searched around and couldn't find a solution so I turn to you. I have an 05 Prius with factory Navigation that didn't come with a rear view camera and swapped out the whole rear hatch with one from the 06-09 era with a factory rear view camera. I've plugged everything in and it seems I'm not able to get the led third brake light working (I'll go wire tracing on that. Hopefully not too difficult) and the rear camera isn't working either. So is there anything extra I need to do to get the camera functional because there is a camera option in the diagnostic mode that's greyed out. So I'm assuming that it's a possibility for it to work. And let me also add that everything is plugged in above the headliner. I welcome everyone's input on this.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. da_don_1

da_don_1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your help. My apologies of having it in the wrong category.

SFO likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's more involved than just installing the garnish trim with a camera. There are differences in the entire harness from the hatch, up to the dash and the plug that inserts into the MFD. I'm pretty sure even the MFD is a different model, with different plugs/pin outs. I'm sure it can be made to work with enough research and wire work, but the effort involved would be significant. May be easier to look at modern wireless rearview camera options.

Maybe, just maybe, the harnesses are the same and all you would need is the correct 7 button MFD model.

5. da_don_1

da_don_1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That could be an option as well. But looking at how other people tapped in the navigation screen when shifting to reverse had me interested in this project.

SFO likes this.
  6. da_don_1

da_don_1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do I get this moved to gen 2 modifications?

SFO likes this.
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Use the "Report" button in the OP (original post), and ask for it to be moved, hopefully one of the mods will take care of it quickly.

8. da_don_1

da_don_1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks!

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I thought I already moved it but I guess not. It should be in the proper forum now.

10. da_don_1

da_don_1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no worries. thanks again.