1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Hitch/Bike Rack, Drop in MPG???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eyeguy13, May 7, 2006.

1. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK....resist the urge to hit 'reply' and tell me to search. :) I did. OK....now resist the urge to hit 'reply' and tell me I missed something because I probably did. :(

I searched for this topic and there is plenty on how to install, which kind, 2" or 1 1/4", etc...

What I want to know is for those of you who actually have a rear hitch and a bike rack mounted on it-do you notice any reduction in MPG because of it?

I have the Coastal hitch and a Yakima rack from my last car and I want to install it tomorrow. I was just curious.

Thanks in advance!

<div align="center">And the number one threat in America------BEARS! (watch the Colbert Report on Comedy Central, M-Th at 1100 EST/1000 CST-this plug not payed for by Comedy Central, the Colbert Report, Homeland Security, the NRA, or bears. Remember, we have the right to bear arms (ugh) and the right to arm bears!)</div>

2. gordonr

gordonr Member

I can't give you precise numbers because that would really require a controlled experiment with two identical cars driven in a very similar manner over the same route. Just forget aerodynamics for a moment, and you will just have a reduction in mpg from the added weight of the hitch, bike rack and racks (about 125 lbs of additional payload for a single bike). I carry bikes on both the roof and on a hitch carrier and feel the mpg penalty is a less on the hitch and the roof but can't give you a good estimate. Just haven't driven enough with them to form an opinion yet.

My intuition tells me that stuff on the roof is the loser when you add areodynamics into the equation. Of course your speed will also play a role as city driving with stuff on top or on the back will have less of an effect than at highway speeds.

My only quantitative measurement was last summer where I was carrying two bikes and a Thule box on top and two bikes on the hitch mount at the same time. The car was loaded with two adults and two children and the trip was mostly at highway speeds (~55 to 65 mph). Our Prius averaged 38 mpg during that trip whereas I would usually expect around 48 mpg on a highway trip without all the added stuff.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 6 2006, 10:14 PM) [snapback]250996[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. The best way to reduce the effect of lowered mileage due to a bike rack is to mount your rack on a Hummer. Then you've got NO worries. :)

And quite seriously - yes it'll lower your mileage. No, you shouldn't worry about it. Think of your INCREASED mileage when you're riding your bike instead of driving your car.