1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Hitch/Bike Rack, Drop in MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by eyeguy13, May 7, 2006.

1. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK....resist the urge to hit 'reply' and tell me to search. :) I did. OK....now resist the urge to hit 'reply' and tell me I missed something because I probably did. :(

I searched for this topic and there is plenty on how to install, which kind, 2" or 1 1/4", etc...

What I want to know is for those of you who actually have a rear hitch and a bike rack mounted on it-do you notice any reduction in MPG because of it?

I have the Coastal hitch and a Yakima rack from my last car and I want to install it tomorrow. I was just curious.

Thanks in advance!

<div align="center">And the number one threat in America------BEARS! (watch the Colbert Report on Comedy Central, M-Th at 1100 EST/1000 CST-this plug not payed for by Comedy Central, the Colbert Report, Homeland Security, the NRA, or bears. Remember, we have the right to bear arms (ugh) and the right to arm bears!)</div>

2. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well the install was pretty painless. Didn't jack up the car. I just slid underneath. The directions tell you to push the drivers side bracket towards the left or towards the outside of the car. When I did that, there was too much of a gap between the bracket and the hitch. I pushed it towards the middle of the car and it matched up better. I also installed the clamp around the muffler hanger to pull the muffler up 1/2 inch. It wasn't touching the hitch, but I knew if I didn't, I would hear rattling tomorrow. I'm going to attach the bike rack to it tomorrow and see how it works!

If anybody still has experience with the hitch and bike rack and real world MPG, especially a drop, please respond. Thanks.

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the Coastaltech 2" Hitch receiver + Yakima KingPin4 hitch bike rack and it's stable! I've seen a drop of about 4-5mpg when traveling @ 75mph.

On the other hand, i've seen people with roof racks (which are more secured imo) sacrifice about 10 mpg!!

4. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One reason I bought the Prius is the hatchback allows me to lay the bike inside, with the wheels attached. My Impreza needs a trunk rack that works OK, but I prefer the inside, locked up Prius for my bike. Inside the car, there is NO MPG loss. I have popped two bike tires from proximity to the exhaust on my Impreza and also my wife's Outback which can share the same rack. I now remove the bike wheel on the exhaust side when using the trunk rack. I haven't tried the rack (Rhode Gear Shuttle) on the Prius, but would rather lock the bike inside. It takes literally 2 seconds to throw the bike in back and to retreive it. I saw a nice mtn bike laying on the freeway one morning. No rack is fool-proof.

6. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 15 2006, 10:14 PM) [snapback]256050[/snapback]</div>
    i didn't think a bike would fit inside. hmm. but obviously you've proven that it does. next time i'll really try to fit it inside.

7. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My bike does also fit inside, but after mtn biking it's not something that i would like to put inside.

I forgot to mention that i use this bar extension that allows me to lower the bike on the rack so it "sits" lower. IMO, this helps minimize the loss of mpg because the bike is not sticking UP and out in the air as much.

I'll try to post pictures later.

8. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
  9. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I finally got around to taking pictures of the modified bike rack. I have a Yakima Kingpin 2 bike rack and a Coastal 2" rear hitch. I took the top part of the rack off by taking out the one bolt and then cutting 10 3/4 inches off the top part of the vertical post. I then drilled new holes in the vertical post to match the old ones and re-installed the top part of the rack. The bike now sits lower behind the car with the wheels of the bike tucked in behind the car. The wheels don't spin at all anymore. Most of the bike is now under the spoiler, except for some of the seat post and the saddle. Plus, with the bike off of the rack, and the rack folded down, it sits totally behind the car. I can't even see the top of the rack while driving with it folded down. I think it worked out fine. I measured the cut so that my bike wheels would sit even with the bottom of the vertical post. The wheels sit about 12 inches off the ground. I hope you find this helpful.

[attachmentid=3577]
    Befor the mod. Notice how high up the bike sits.

[attachmentid=3578]
    After the mod. Bike sits much lower.

[attachmentid=3579]
    Before the mod.

[attachmentid=3580]
    After the mod.

[attachmentid=3581]
    Before the mod.

[attachmentid=3582]
    After the mod.

10. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Nice work on the mods. Any test drives to see any differences at speed? I love the idea of making my Prius my own by tweaking it and its accessories to suit me.

This car rocks!

Cheers,
    Curt.

11. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ May 23 2006, 08:19 AM) [snapback]259646[/snapback]</div>
    It works fine. I can see the bike out the back window, so that's nice and it's not swaying or bouncing around. Since the bike rack is now shorter, and the center of gravity is lower, is seems more stable now than before. I can open the hatch without leaning the rack foward, so I have full access to the back of the car which is nice. The rack is now tucked behind the car and folded when not in use. At highway speeds, I can just see the back wheels out of the left and right side view mirrors and the wheels are not spinning at all, meaning no wind is hitting them.

If I had to do it again, I would only cut off 10 inches maybe, instead of 10 3/4 but that is just being picky. The wheels are a good 12 inches off the ground and I know in my mind, that they will never hit the ground. If they did, then I've done something terrible wrong to the car :) . But, at the current height, more of the bike is below the spoiler, so maybe I did measure correctly.

I've noticed no change in my MPG since installing the rack and using it. But it's only been a few days, so I'll post again in a month or so if I notice a change.

12. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 7 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]251169[/snapback]</div>
    Hey eyeguy (and others),

Would you mind pointing me to where you read about which kind of receiver hitch (2" or 1 1/4"). I'm trying to figure this out myself and haven't had any luck finding anything about it other than make sure you get the right size for whatever you are connecting. The racks I'm looking at come in both 2" and 1 1/4" and I was wondering if there were any other considerations like one is sturdier, more stable, or more things are made for that receiver hitch size. I'm currently resisting the urge to start a new thread. Thanks!

13. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I got the 2" after looking for 1 1/4" racks. There seems to be more 2" accessories and as an engineer, I'm always 'overbuilding it' as it were. Seemed to me a larger receiver would have a more solid base in which to mount stuff. I didn't want to load 4 bikes and see it bend or twist. I'm sure that wouldn't be the case, but...

Coastaletech.com has both. Adaptors are also available to make either size rack work in either size receiver.

cheers,
    Curt.

14. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks Curt. I was figuring the 2" would be more stable (also an engineer, so I'm had a similar train of thought :) ), but I couldn't find anything that supported 2" hitch accessories/equipment being more prevalent than the 1 1/4". I guess the adapter makes that a moot point and the larger/sturdier piece wins.

You actually have the setup I'm interested in. How is the visibility with a rear hitch bike/snowboard rack? I rarely cart my bike around, so it hasn't been an issue so far and I don't even own a bike rack, but I can see a roof bike rack being a pain compared to a rear bike rack. I chose the roof rack b/c it doesn't affect visibility and the Prius is a low car and easy to load snowboards and skis on top. Also, the roof rack will fit into my garage, while a rear rack would not. But the drag and resulting mileage hit is horrible! I get maybe 25-30 MPG driving from LA to Mammoth. The combination of uphill, cold, roof rack drag, and loaded down car just kills mileage and going the final stretch uphill at freeway speeds with that much drag is a bit too much (battery drains and I end up driving on ICE alone). It seems like a rear rack would fix some of the drag issue, be easier to load/unload, at the cost of not fitting in my garage and reducing rear visibility.

Anyhow, I would appreciate an engineer's perspective of the rear rack. :p

15. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryogajyc @ May 23 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]259806[/snapback]</div>
    I had a 1 1/4" hitch on my Matrix and a 2" on the Prius. The 2" is more stable and a better choice. Plus it gives you more options with racks.

The Coastal hitch works great!

16. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Well, from the pic I posted (see above link, way above), the bikes sit a little too high. I like what eyeguy13 did in cutting and shortening his rack, getting the bike to sit lower and centered behind the Prius.

That being said, when winter hits and I load up by board and friends' skis (yes we can all get along with this very versatile rack from Aspen!), I'm glad the rack is as high as it is...longer items run about 8" off the ground when loaded. I use cinching straps that came with the rack and a few bungees for stability. Got 41 MPG on one cold trip to our hill here in S. Dakota. 4 adults and all associated gear. About 20 degrees F, and I'd say 1500 ft. elevation climb and subsequent trip back. "Better than my Subaroo's 19 MPG" was a friend's comment on that trip! "And more room". This car rocks.

Bottomline, the roof rack seems to be more of a MPG killer (actually the cold is, too), than the rear rack. Plus nothing ever contacts my precious when loading or unloading or hauling using a rear rack.

I've never hauled my board in the summer to see the actual effect, nor the bikes in winter, to verify that the cold is a major MPG factor and not the stuff on the rack...well...my significant other would really ridicule me then. I've come to loathe winter for MPG, yet love the fact my Prius is so versatile in hauling gear in any season.

Cheers,

Curt.

PS Almost forgot the visibility thing...it's semi-blocked, but not so much that makes it unsafe. It doesn't improve it, let me say that! But really, it's fine by me, I can be careful and look twice and adjust for my limited hindsight. I find rear passenger's heads more intrusive than stuff hanging out the back end...

17. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the info guys. If I go the rear hitch route, I'll be looking at a 2" hitch. The no contact with the Prius is a nice plus too. I always be sure to clean both the pads and the roof contact area to try to ensure I won't scratch my Prius when I use the roof rack.

One more question. I was concerned about the rear hitch eating into the Prius's rather low weight limit (pretty easily hit it with 4 adults plus luggage). Any idea how much the rear hitch weighs? I'm guessing that the roof rack and rear hitch rack are comparable in terms of weight. TIA.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryogajyc @ May 30 2006, 09:01 PM) [snapback]263145[/snapback]</div>
    My guess is that the hitch alone weighs as much as the entire roof rack. So adding the receiver-rack would definitely put it in the heavier category. The hitch is permanent too, a minor source endless drag.

I enjoyed mine on my Classic, but no where near as much as the convenience of the hatchback from the HSD. Sorry.

As for the MPG drop, it really depends on the direction of the wind... and in my situation, time of year since I once coated the bike with ice on a drive home from an early spring biking trip. I generally tell people to expect a 3 to 5 MPG drop.

19. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryogajyc @ May 30 2006, 09:01 PM) [snapback]263145[/snapback]</div>

Wild guess.....25-30 pounds for the hitch. I easily lifted it and installed it while lying on my back. My modified bike rack weighs less. I've noticed a decreaase in MPG over the last week of .2 MPG. I went from 46.0 to 45.8. But, this weekend it was VERY hot and VERY windy. So that is probably why the MPG dropped. I keep my bike rack on full time. I cycle at least five times a week or more so it's a hassle to take the rack on and off. I can open my rear hitch with the bike rack on. No problem. It clears it by 2-3 inches. It seems to be the perfect set-up. I'm very pleased. See the photo's on this thread.

20. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 30 2006, 11:28 PM) [snapback]263204[/snapback]</div>
    do you have to drive to ride your bike? if you ride that much maybe you should find a route that starts from your house.