1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear hub removal

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by kfaiwoman, Sep 6, 2009.

1. kfaiwoman

kfaiwoman New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Anyone have any advice for removing a rear wheel hub assembly on an '01 Prius?
    My right-rear wheel bearing is going bad. We got a replacement hub but can't get the old one out. We've tried loosening the four bolts that hold it in place, putting a socket on the bolt head, and hitting that with a mallet. We've soaked the whole area with liquid wrench. The thing just won't budge. Any ideas?
    Mahi

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi kfai...,

Hitting a wrench with a mallet usually wont work , because all the slop in the wrench, and the cold-forming of the threads to each other over the years just takes up the impact. Its different with hardened bolts in aluminum - like with motorcycles. But, on low-carbon bolts and flanges, the metal just flexes.

You need a long pipe that will fit on wrench handle, say 3 foot long. Then place steady pressure on the end of the pipe, and in the opposite direction at the tip of the wrench where it attaches to the bolt (this can be done with a jack).

Sometimes letting the penetrating oil soak in overnight does wonders. Keep soaking it up.

As this is a suspension part, avoid using a torch, as it will change the temper of the metal.

Next step is to go buy an electric impact wrench. The wrench provides thousands of impacts, and they are very short impacts, which means the momentum of the parts is what its working against, and the metal has less chance of flexing.

3. kfaiwoman

kfaiwoman New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I was unclear. We've gotten the bolts out -- that wasn't too difficult actually. But the hub remains stuck fast. In an effort to push the hub out, we put the bolts back in part-way and struck them with the mallet. (Didn't want to pound or push on the inside of the hub (towards the centerline of the car), as it looks like a light-gauge cover for the ABS sensor.) We'll try again tomorrow, see if the penetrating oil has loosened it up overnight.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't have any magic solution: Prius Shim Adjustment Procedure

The tolerances are tight so I used a very gentle 'tap' to encourage the hub to move. It is easy to 'cock' it and lock it in place.

My only suggestion is to tighten the bolts to torque value and then using a 'soft mallet', tap the hub and then re-torque the bolts. You'll want to start with everything aligned. Then loosen each bolt one turn and do a cross pattern 'tap.' Repeat until it comes loose.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

5. jaywolf

jaywolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I change mine on my 02 several years ago and I don't remember any problems. I think I just used and impact to remove bolts, unplugged at ABS wires and hit it with a hand sledge hammer.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A hand sledge hammer is an essential tool for suspension work... :cool:

7. jaywolf

jaywolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's not like your worried about damaging it, you have to replace the whole assembly.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I agree.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I did my alignment correction in the rear I could *barely*
    get the bolts loosened up enough to get the hub to move. And it
    didn't move easily. It's all pretty strange because things
    were *not* particularly rusted up back there. I guess when it
    comes time to do wheel bearings I'm gonna have quite the job
    ahead of me...
    _H*

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I understand you are having a problem starting the car now:
    • Does the engine turn over but not start?
    • Does the key turn and no sounds from the engine at all?
    • Did you ever get an OBD scanner?
    Bob Wilson

11. sbiddle

sbiddle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced the right rear hub on my 2002 prius. I had a heck of a time getting the old one removed. There was a pretty good rust ring holding it in place. I ended up getting it to move by first punching out the wheel studs to make room for putting a big pipe wrench with a cheater bar on the flange. I rocked the wrench back and forth from different positions until it finally wiggled free. It shows you what 10 NH winters combined with 243,000 miles will do to tight tolerance slide together parts.

12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you have a particular one you can recommend because you've tried it and succeeded? There are some things sold as "hub/gear pullers" that wouldn't be of any use with an NHW11 rear hub, so we'd want to make sure people find one that will.

When I succeeded at rear hub removal it was with a slide-hammer puller that could be cinched down onto the wheel studs.

-Chap

Kent Kuriyama likes this.
  14. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your information says you're driving a 2006. Have you used a puller that style on Gen 1 rear hubs? What did you tighten the screw against? Did you set it inboard with the jaws on the bracket, and push the ABS sensor?

I don't know whether the rear hubs are the same or different on the Gen 2.

-Chap

16. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Chap, if you look at my signature, you will see that I own a Gen I and a Gen II.

I'm looking at the hub and trying to figure out how I did it and here's what I think I did (to begin with, you're right, I can't see how that puller could be used for this so I deleted that post. I was thinking Gen II for that but, I did change out my Gen I as well).

Here's what I did:
    Start by soaking the entire assy w/ penetrating oil and spraying often throughout the procedure

1) I found 2 bolts that were threaded properly to mount the hub but were quite a bit longer than the stock bolts. (I can't find a good pic)
    2) I lodged a flat piece of metal against a suspension component and then placed a cold chisel behind one of the bolt holes
    3) I then began to screw one of the longer bolts in, from the front (not from the back but from the front), against the cold chisel for 2 or 3 turns
    4) Then I placed another cold chisel behind one of the other bolt holes (180 deg's from the first one) and screwed the other bolt against that cold chisel (again from the front)
    5) Then unscrew both bolts and transfer to the other bolt holes not yet used and do the same thing

The idea is to use the factory threads on the old hub to dislodge the assy by tightening it against something solid (before the threads bottom out). I just happened to use a cold chisel and a flat piece of metal but, there are many other things that would work.

I eventually placed a flat piece of metal between the hub and mount and finished it off (I wish I could find a pic, I can find one of the hub but can't find one of it mounted on the vehicle). Pls let me know whether or not you understand what I'm trying to say.

Here's a pic but its lame.

Attached Files:

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah, ok. That makes sense. It was just when I was trying to picture how to use a regular puller there that I thought I was losing my mind. :)

Did yours want to bring the brake backing plate out along with it? That's what mine did....

-Chap

18. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh yeah it did. It finally seperated though.

19. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rear bearing hubs can be a PITA to remove from rust belt cars. California cars, easy peasy.
    PB Blaster, heat and a BFH can help. (big frickin hammer)
    I was thinking of trying something like this next time I have a tough one, but it could tweak the other suspension components if the hub is really frozen.

texaslorraine likes this.
  20. PriusNuevo

PriusNuevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I